A cholecystectomy is a process of removing the gallbladder. This is a small pear-shaped organ, which is present just below the liver and on the upper right side of the abdomen. This surgical procedure is performed if there are any gallstones present in the gallbladder. These stones can cause pain or infection in the gallbladder.
Discomfort after a Cholecystectomy:
The gallbladder stores bile, which is produced by the liver. This liquid produced by the liver is helpful in digesting fatty food. When there is any problem with the gallbladder, it is removed and a human being is able to survive without a gallbladder. Once the gallbladder is removed, the bile produced by the liver moves directly to the small intestine. There will not be any kind of problem due to the removal of the gallbladder, but your body will take some time to get adjusted to the changes. Hence, you need to make certain changes to your diet to avoid any kind of discomfort caused after a cholecystectomy.
Tips for avoiding discomfort after a cholecystectomy:
- Start with a liquid diet: Immediately after the surgery, you should consume just liquid food and try to avoid solid food. You should consume clear soups, gelatin and broths. You can slowly add your normal and solid food to the diet.
- Low-Fat food should be preferred: You should make sure that you are not eating high-fat food after a cholecystectomy surgery. Food that has a strong smell, fried food, junk food or any food that can cause gas should be avoided. You should stick to low- fat food and eat small portions. You should read the labels of the food before you buy to make sure that they do not contain more than three grams of fat in a single serving.
- Food that you need to avoid: If you are consuming the wrong food immediately after the surgery it can cause discomforts such as diarrhea or severe pain. So, avoid the following food:
- Potato chips
- French fries
- Ice Cream
- Creamy sauces
- Creamy soups
- Meat gravies
- Palm oil and Coconut oil
- Any spicy food
- Add these slowly: You need to avoid gas producing food, but you need to eat certain food for a healthy body. So, you can add these foods to your diet slowly:
- Keep a watch: Whatever you eat and whatever you avoid, you should always keep a watch on any kind of abnormal symptoms and ask the doctor for help immediately.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!