Being Overweight During Pregnancy - Can It Cause Problems?
Written and reviewed by
MBBS, MS - Obstetrics and Gynaecology
41 years experience
If you are expecting a baby in the next couple of months and are worried about being overweight; don't fret, because you are not alone in the league. Half of the pregnant women across the world are overweight, if not obese. However, having to walk around with more weight than the recommended level is an adversity for your pregnancy and can put you at high health risks. That is why you should consult your doctor and reduce those extra pounds right away.
There are certain health problems you can experience if you are overweight during your pregnancy term:
- Chances of developing urinary tract infections are high
- Obstructive sleep apnoea (a condition in which breathing stops and resumes repeatedly) or problems with breathing while you sleep.
- Venous thromboembolism (a deep blood clot in a vein, primarily in the legs) which then suddenly breaks off and is carried through your blood to your heart or brain, resulting in a stroke or a heart attack.
- You may not have a normal delivery and will take longer than usual to get into labour
- After the delivery, you may have problems with breastfeeding as well.
- Not only you, but your baby may also get affected in the process:
- You may have a premature delivery which can cause health hazards to your child.
- Your child may develop several birth defects such as problems in spinal cord or non-development/under development of certain body parts.
- Over weight people have more chances of diabetes and Hypertension and subsequent complications like birth defects,growh retarded fetus and seizuresetc.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!
found this helpful