Anal Fissure is a small tear in the anal area. This can happen due to injury while passing hard formed stool or even by repeated bowel motion. It may be very painful especially at the time of passing hard stool.
Most commonly sought symptoms in Anal Fissure are as given below:
• A noticeable tear in the skin close to the anus.
• Cutting or burning pain in anal passage while passing stool which may persist for a considerable time
• Sometimes pain is so severe that patient stops eating in an attempt to avoid defecation to avoid pain
• Blood stains on stools may also be there
• If not treated in time; skin starts growing from the lower end of fissure to form a tag known as sentinel tag/sentinel piles.
• At times; sentinel tag may get inflamed.
• Passage of hard stool through anus.
• Chronic Diarrhoea
• Trauma to the anus and anal canal like during childbirth
• Inflammation in anus because of crohn's disease or some other inflammatory disease
Anal Fissure treatment: Diet: High fiber diet like green leafy vegetables, salads, fruits like papaya, chikku are advised. Resins with milk can also be taken in night. Adequate quantity of liquids especially butter milk is advised. Banana, apple etc. should be avoided.
Graded Kshar Karma & Ksharsutra: Anal Fissure can be completely treated by Graded Kshar Karma and Ksharsutra treatment. In acute anal fissure; stool softener along with Graded Kshar Karma is advised. In this treatment; Graded Kshar - a specialized Ayurvedic medicine is applied in fissure region. This medicine debrides the fissure and induces healing. Usually pain subsides in a week or 10 days time period when fissure is still in healing phase.
Considering pain has subsided; some patients discontinue the treatment to further aggravate and complicate the problem. For complete healing of anal fissure usually 3-5 Graded Kshar Karma sittings are required at a weekly interval. In between these weekly sittings patients are advised to apply certain medicines in anal passage by themselves. If anal fissure has progressed to development of sentinel tag then Graded Ksharsutra TM treatment is the treatment of choice.
In this treatment Graded Ksharsutra TM is ligated at the root of sentinel tag. Medicine released from Ksharsutra blocks the blood supply of sentinel tag and it sheds off in a week or 10 days time period. No hospitalization or bed rest is required in this treatment. Patient can continue his normal routine activities as usual during his treatment. So, you can say no to surgery in Anal fissure.