A healthy diet is not only important for that slick waistline, but it also keeps your bones healthy. Two of the most important nutrients needed for healthy bones are Calcium and Vitamin D. Calcium helps in strengthening your bones while Vitamin D facilitates calcium absorption in the body. If the bones are not healthy, it can lead to bone disorders such as osteoporosis and rickets.
If you want to keep your bones fighting strong and healthy, here are some diet tips that you can follow:
- Consume yogurt: A very good breakfast option, Yoghurt contains 30% of calcium and 20% of Vitamin D as per RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance), both being vital for healthy bones. It also contains little in terms of calories so that you don’t have to lose sleep over your waistline.
- Milk: If you think milk is just for kids, think again. Milk is one of the best sources of protein and calcium; in fact, it contains 30% of calcium as per RDA. So yes! Drop all inhibitions and drink that glass of warm milk to keep your bones healthy.
- Cheese: Another milk-based product, cheese is also rich in protein and calcium. You need to make sure that the cheese you consume is the fat-free version in order to restrict calorie intake.
- Sardines: If you are planning on getting a fish sandwich for lunch, then you are on the right track. Sardines are not only rich in Omega 3 Fatty acids, but they also contain calcium and Vitamin D is high amounts.
- Eggs: Don’t fear the egg yolk and dispose of it. Not so fast now! Egg yolk contains Vitamin D, an essential nutrient that facilitates calcium absorption in the body. Eggs are also one of the best superfoods as they are a powerhouse of various nutrients.
- Spinach: Remember Popeye, the cartoon sailor whose muscular frame was attributed to spinach. Now let’s get down to the facts. Spinach contains calcium, fiber, and iron – all very essential for your body. Consuming spinach regularly is one ‘go green’ way to keep your bones healthy.
In case you have a concern or query, you can always consult Orthopedic Doctor in Chandigarh & get answers to your questions!