Every women’s period cycle varies depending on their body type and lifestyle. Generally, the ovulation period lasts for about 24 to 29 days, after which you get your periods. A missed period is quite common and may occur once in a while due to change in lifestyle or hormonal change. Some women have quite regular period cycles, while in the case of others some ups and downs do occur. Irregular menstrual cycle may result because of a number of reasons. For instance-
• Weight gain or loss
• Over exercising the body
• Absence of a balanced diet
• Smoking excessively
• Too much drug use
• Excessive caffeine consumption
• Too much alcohol consumption
• Stress and anxiety
• Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
• Abnormalities in the uterus
• Consumption of certain medication
It is essential that you visit a doctor if you are facing the following signs of irregular menstrual cycle-
• The date on which you get your period constantly changes
• You face either very heavy or very little blood flow during menstruation
• The number of days your periods last keeps changing constantly
• You experience some sort of spotting between your periods and after every time you have intercourse
If you are facing the problem of delayed periods or your periods are highly irregular because of puberty or menopause, no specific kind of treatment is recommended. This is because your period cycle will get back to normal once the hormonal changes in your body will cease. Medications are only prescribed if the period pain becomes too intense, or other complications arise. If you are facing irregular periods due to underlying health problems, your doctor may recommend the following-
• Diagnosing the underlying cause for irregular menstrual cycle and treating it- If you are suffering from PCOS or hypothyroidism, because of which you are facing irregular periods, you doctor will treat these health issues. In case of PCOS birth control pills are generally prescribed, to trigger a period. In case of hypothyroidism, supplements of thyroid hormones are given to regulate the periods.
• Changing contraceptive pill- After initially using birth control pills, if you face any irregularity in your menstrual cycle, your doctor may prescribe an alternate birth control to end the delayed period.
• Changes in lifestyle- One of the major reasons for irregular periods is excessive weight gain or loss. Therefore, if you are underweight, eat healthy and ensure that you get the right amount of exercise so that your period cycle becomes more regular. If you are overweight, exercise daily and ensure a balanced diet to lose weight.
• Hormone therapy- Irregular menstrual cycle occurs primarily because of hormonal imbalance or the lack of some hormones. Birth control pills or a medicine called progestin help with hormone regulation in the body.
• Surgery- structural defects in the uterus and even scarring may cause irregular period cycle. Surgery may be recommended to correct such a defect.
Lybrate gives you a chance to consult with the best gynaecologists either online or via an appointment. Lybrate is a great medium to interact with leading doctors all over India. Get in touch with the top gynaecologists and general physicians in Ludhiana, Mohali, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai etc. Lybrate.com offers effective online service, to solve all your medical problems and queries. Subscribe to Lybrate.com and get helpful tips on period pain and menstrual cycle.
Consult top doctors for Irregular Periods online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Adarsh Nagar, AIIMS, Alipur, Anand Parbat, Anand Vihar, Ashok Vihar and in any other locality in Delhi for Irregular Periods.