Vitiligo And Leucoderma - Homeopathy Remedies Help In Treating Them?
The main pigment responsible for the hair and skin color is melanin. Melanocytes are the cells involved in the formation of melanin. Vitiligo is a dermatological condition (depigmentation) characterized by white spots or patches that appear in the body.
Lack or absence of melanin is often responsible for the appearance of the white patches. Improper functioning or destruction of the melanocytes may interfere with the cell's ability to produce melanin. The condition can also affect your hair, scalp, eyebrows, and eyelashes, resulting in premature graying or whitening.
Vitiligo and Leucoderma Difference
Vitiligo can be localized (only one or very few body parts are affected), generalized (affecting many body parts) or segmented (the condition affects only one side of the body). An autoimmune condition such as Diabetes (Type-1) or Hashimoto's thyroiditis may trigger the destruction of the melanocytes. Vitiligo may also be a hereditary condition. In some cases, stress or exposure to harmful chemicals may be responsible for the destruction of the melanocytes.
While many people confuse vitiligo with leucoderma, there is a small difference between the two. Like vitiligo, the white watches in leucoderma appear due to the destruction of the melanocytes. However, the destruction of the melanocytes in the case of leucoderma may result from an accident, a cut, burn or tear.
Homeopathic Treatment for Vitiligo & Leucoderma
When it comes to treatment, many people prefer homeopathy over conventional treatments and medications. Being natural with negligible or no side effects are the main USP of homeopathic treatment. People with vitiligo and leucoderma have benefitted immensely from the treatment.
The homeopathic treatment may not provide you with immediate results, but it is worth your time and patience. Most of the homeopathic medicines activate the melanocytes. This activation triggers the formation of the melanin, thereby resulting in re-pigmentation.
Homeopathic Medicines for Vitiligo & Leucoderma
- Silicea 30: Best homeopathic remedy for people with sensitive skin that appears waxy and pale. In such patients, the patches or spots are not typically white but slightly rose-colored. There is extensive sweating of the hands and feet. The fingertips also appear cracked with brittle nails.
- Arsenic Album: In some patients with vitiligo or leucoderma, the skin may appear dry and rough. In addition to the white patches, a person may complain of exhaustion and asthma (not in all patients). The person may show signs of extreme restlessness and anxiety. They freak out over cleanliness and neatness. Such patients benefit immensely from Arsenic Album.
- Calcarea Carb: This homeopathic medicine is used to treat vitiligo where the patches appear milky white in color. There may be a weakness in the bones as well.
- Sepia: Effective homeopathic medicine 'Sepia' is used when people with vitiligo distance themselves from their families and loved ones.
- Nitric Acid 30: This homeopathic remedy is used in the case of the white spots appearing at the mouth, nipples, nose, eyes, penis, vulva (mucous junctions).
Also, Sulfur, Psoralea Coryl 3X, Staphysagria, Borax, are other good homeopathic remedies helpful in treating vitiligo and leucoderma. To play it safe, use the homeopathic medicines only after consulting a specialist. Self-medication may not be a wise idea. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Update From Lybrate: Keeping your skin healthy is very important, therefore, we suggest you choose the Skin Care Products according to your skin type requirements and usages at Lybrate.