Cucumbers are used in most healthy salads all over the world, owing to the fact that it contains lots of water and has a cooling and refreshing effect on your system. The cucumber is a member of the plant family which also boasts of watermelon, pumpkin, and squash. And on hot summer days, cucumber salads keep you hydrated whether you consume the vegetable on its own, or drink its juice. Here we will take a look at the many other advantages of having cucumbers, which will surely inspire you to incorporate this food item in your diet on a more regular basis.
- Cucumbers contain a flavanol called fisetin. This fisetin plays a key role in protecting your brain. It increases your memory and protects your nerve cells from ageing, but it's most impressive feat is that it can protect your brain from Alzheimer's as well.
- Also, cucumbers contain polyphenols named lignans which help you to reduce the risk of breast, ovarian and prostate cancer.
- And since cucumbers contain about 95 percent of water, it goes without saying that they fight inflammation in the most impressive manner possible.
- Further, cucumbers also contain anti-oxidants. These very anti-oxidants are responsible for keeping you safe from chronic diseases.
- Cucumbers come loaded with vitamin B, which is known to fight stress and can help you to combat anxiety too.
- Cucumbers are very rich in water and fibre. Since both these entities are necessary for easy digestion of food, adding cucumbers to your daily diet can be helpful in many ways. Also, when the juice of cucumbers mixes with your saliva, it will work as a very effective combination that imparts some speed to the process of digestion.
- Cucumbers are very low in calories, which is evident by the fact that they contain about 95 percent water. And yet they fill your stomach pretty nicely. It can help you keep your weight in check.
- If you are a heart patient, you ought to have cucumbers in your diet because cucumbers contain potassium, which in turn is lowers the blood pressure in the body, thus making it much easier for you to keep a check on high BP problems.
Besides the above mentioned benefits, cucumbers taste crisp, fresh and cool. So go ahead and beat the summer heat with this extremely beneficial vegetable.