Written and reviewed by
Masters in Nutritional Therapy, bachelor of Bio chemistry
9 years experience
Sports Nutrition - Before event tips:
- Eat adequate high carbohydrate meals every day to keep glycogen stores full and make most of your training sessions.
- Allow 3-4 hours digetion time for a large meal, 2-3 for smaller meal, 1-2 for blended or liquid meals and less than one hour for smaller snacks.
- If you eat less than one hour before the event be sure to snack on any tried and truelow fat high carbohydrate snack.
- Limit high fat proteins such as cheese and peanut butter, they take long time to empty your stomach and will slow you down.
- A small amount of low fat protein can settle the stomach and stay arround long enough to prevent hunger.
- Try cotage cheese, 1-2 Eggs, Milk and combine it with some sort of Carbohydrate for best result.
- It's best to have high glycemic index foods during and after exercise such as Glucose, Potatoes, Bagels, Raisins, Oatmeal, Sugar etc.
- Stick with low to moderate index foods before exercise: Energy bars, Chocolate milk, Green beans, Yoghurt, Apple and less ripe Banana especially if you are eating within 60 to 90 min of the event. This is for avoiding sugar crash that can occur when your blood sugar rapidly races and falls again.
found this helpful