Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it is integral that you choose carefully what you eat in the morning. But if you skip it, you tend to gain more weight than losing any of it, as desired. However, its quality is more important than actually eating it.
- If you have too light a breakfast such as only cereals or toast, you tend to get hungrier faster, prompting the need to nibble on a high sugar or sweet snack. Most of us struggle to gain control over their eating.
- Look out for the glycemic index (GL) of food, for higher the GL, higher the effect on your body weight. Those foods that have a lower GL, contain proteins that keep you satisfied for longer and that prevents you from munching here and there and this and that. With higher GL foods such as cereals, the blood sugar levels rise rapidly and cause a lot of energy to be stored as fat.
- Drinking a glass of that store-bought orange juice may not be a good idea, as it contains high levels of glucose that defeat the purpose of eating a healthy breakfast. It only adds to your fat and body weight.
- We often tend to eat that occasional sweet pastry, waffles or pancakes drizzled with sugar syrup. Once again, not the best choice for the first meal of the day. Go for whole wheat items.
- Bring in variation to your breakfast, eating the same thing every day doesn't bring in all the required nutrients needed by your body.
- Drinking coffee first thing in the morning as a wake-up call is terrible, for its caffeine content increases stress, which only leads to more fat being accumulated around your belly.
- It is always better to make sure, that your first meal of the day is a combination of complex carbohydrates and high biological value proteins. Check for the hidden sources of excess sugar and sodium(salt) through nutritional labels. A healthy and power packed breakfast will ensure the right start to the metabolism.
A well-balanced breakfast is one that incorporates healthy proteins and fats, which ensure stable blood sugar levels and stall your cravings. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!