Acne is a skin condition that occurs when your hair follicles become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. Acne usually appears on your face, neck, chest, back and shoulders. These areas of skin have the most oil (sebaceous) glands. When your body produces an excess amount of sebum and dead skin cells, the two can build up in the hair follicles. They form a soft plug, creating an environment where bacteria Propionibacterium acnes can thrive. If the clogged pore becomes infected with bacteria, inflammation results. Acne signs and symptoms vary depending on the severity of your condition:
- Whiteheads (closed plugged pores)
- Blackheads (open plugged pores — the oil turns brown when it is exposed to air)
- Small red, tender bumps (papules)
- Pimples (pustules), which are papules with pus at their tips
- Large, solid, painful lumps beneath the surface of the skin (nodules)
- Painful, pus-filled lumps beneath the surface of the skin (cystic lesions)
Factors that may worsen acne:
- Hormones. Androgens are hormones that increase in boys and girls during puberty and cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum. Hormonal changes related to pregnancy and the use of oral contraceptives also can affect sebum production.
- Certain medications. Drugs containing corticosteroids, androgens or lithium can worsen acne.
- Diet. Dairy products and carbohydrate-rich foods such as bread, chips ,chocolates may trigger acne.
- Stress. It can make acne worse.
- Wash problem areas with a gentle cleanser If you tend to develop acne around your hairline, shampoo your hair every day.
- Avoid irritants. You may want to avoid oily or greasy cosmetics, sunscreens, hairstyling products or acne concealers. Use products labeled water-based or noncomedogenic.
- Avoid foods which trigger acne like dairy,chocolates.
- Do not pick your acne as they lead to scars.
- Do not sleep at night with cosmetics on.
- Apply aloe vera gel and drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
Role of Homoeopathy for acne:
Homeopathy offers very safe and natural treatment for acne. Homeopathic medicines for acne work internally, in a very gentle and effective way, without any harsh external applications. Rather than suppress acne, Homeopathic medicines treat the condition at the root. These medicines, which are safe from any adverse side effects.
Important Homoeopathic medicines for acne are-Berberis .aquifolium,Pulsatilla,Hepar.Sulph, Sulphur, Silicea.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!