Guggulu is a medicinally powerful herb, derived from the gum resin of the guggul tree, a native of India. For centuries, this herb has been used in the preparation of Ayurvedic medicines. Several ancient Sanskrit texts on Ayurvedic remedies and therapies dating back to 600 BC recommend using Guggulu to treat various diseases.
Kapha, Vata and Pitta are collectively known as the doshas, which are the foundational concepts in the tradition of Ayurveda. The Vata dosha governs motion and flows in the body; Kapha dosha controls fluid balance in the body; Pitta dosha governs metabolism and digestion. An imbalance of the three doshas, either in combination or by themselves, leads to a range of diseases in the body.
Guggulu soothes Kapha, Pitta and Vata doshas but it is especially renowned for reducing the Vata Dosha. Here is a look at the health benefits of Guggulu herb -
- Promotes rejuvenation and detoxification
- Helps in blood purification
- Kindles digestive fire – ‘Agni’
- Promotes weight management
- Supports the immune system
- Aids in comfortable joint movement
- Promotes good skin health
- Helps regulate the menstrual cycle
Uses and Effectiveness of Guggulu:
The extracts of Guggulu are extremely effective in treating the following ailments -
- Skin problems - Because of its antibacterial properties, Guggulu works very well for those having acne-prone skin. Taking the herb by mouth seems to reduce inflammation, pain and the number of acne outbreaks.
- Weight loss - Taking Guggulu on a regular basis, along with a balanced diet and moderate exercise helps to lose weight. This is essentially beneficial for people who are obese or overweight.
- Joint problems - Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are the two conditions that Ayurveda aims to rectify with the help of Guggulu extracts. You can have it orally, either in the form of tablets or crush it into powder form.
- High Cholesterol - The medicinal plant contains steroids, which can bring down the level of triglycerides and cholesterol.
- Gingivitis - Guggulu can be used as a mouthwash to treat gingivitis and canker sores. Simply crush mix the medicinal plant in half a cup of warm water and use it thrice daily.
Guggulu can help in curing a number of ailment, but it is always advised to consult a doctor before taking them up!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult a specialist
& get answers to your questions!