Laryngitis is a condition where your voice box or vocal cords become inflamed or swollen. Laryngitis occurs when your voice box or vocal cords become inflamed from overuse, irritation, or infection.
Laryngitis can be acute , lasting less than three weeks. Or it can be chronic, lasting more than three weeks.
- viral infections.
- straining your vocal cords by talking or yelling.
- bacterial infections.
- drinking too much alcohol.
- frequent sinus infections.
- being around smokers.
- overusing your voice, etc.
- weakened voice.
- loss of voice.
- dry throat.
- constant tickling or minor throat irritation, etc.
Tips to deal with laryngitis:
- Adequate and sufficient rest to voice is advised. Use the voice as little as possible.
- Use a humidifier or inhale steam to alleviate dryness.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Gargle with salt and water 2 -3 times a day.
- Eat foods that are easy to swallow.
- Protect your immune system hence eat food rich in vitamins C like cirrus fruits, etc.
- Exercise daily. Try yoga.
- Do not whisper or try to strain your voice as it can irritate the inflamed larynx and worsen the pain.
- Reduce intake of Caffeine, Spicy food and other beverages as it can aggravate acid reflux which is also a cause for Laryngitis.
- Avoid smoking and being around people who smoke.
- Wash your hands regularly to avoid catching colds and upper respiratory infections.
- Do not eat cold things like ice creams,etc.
- Do not eat processed, fried, salty and sugary food.
- Avoid foods that cause indigestion and heartburn.
- Take help of doctor if complaints persist in order to avoid complications.
- Avoid alcohol intake.