Last Updated: Jan 10, 2023
Cervical spondylosis a special type of arthritis. The region of its occurrence is in the cervical vertebrae and the problem is more prevalent in men who belong to the middle age groups. In the language of Ayurveda, this problem is known as Greeva graham. The condition falls under the category of Vata condition.
What are the causes of cervical spondylosis?
The several factors that cause cervical spondylosis are as follows:
- When the Vata Dosha increases in magnitude, the tissues start degenerating even in the neck joints.
- Intake of food that leads to the formation of gas in the body is also one of the reasons of cervical spondylosis.
- When people take too many gaps during two consecutive meals, then it leads to the formation of gas as well which causes cervical spondylosis.
- Those who have night shifts frequently have a tendency to develop cervical spondylosis.
- Overindulgence in activities of mental, physical and sexual nature can also cause cervical spondylosis.
What are the symptoms of cervical spondylosis?
The main symptoms of cervical spondylosis are listed below.
- A persistent headache is one of the most common symptoms.
- People often complain of feeling a stiffness in the neck region in case of cervical spondylosis.
- A numbness or tingling feeling in arms is also one of the symptoms of this condition.
- The posterior region of your back and shoulders will also pain in case you develop cervical spondylosis.
- People also find it difficult to walk at times and face a lack of coordination as well.
What are the Ayurvedic treatment measures for cervical spondylosis?
The main treatment measures in Ayurveda for cervical spondylosis are:
- Mridu Shodhana – This procedure is also known as mild purgation. In this procedure, a mixture is made with milk or the fruit pulp of Cassia fistula and castor oil.
- Greeva Basti – A black gram paste is applied to the back of the neck and this will aid in retaining the medicaments in that region. Several medicated oils like Ksheerbala oil are heated and then the compound helps in retaining this oil within it for a time. The reason for this is that when the heated oil is applied to that area, it helps in giving relief from disc herniation. The disc cartilage nourishment is improved and thus, the degeneration process of the tissues is reversed.
- Secondary Ayurvedic procedures are also effective against cervical spondylosis. Some of these procedures are Patrapinda Sweda, Shirodhara, Abhyanga, and Pizhichil.
- Pacifying Herbs – Some of the Ayurvedic herbs act as a pacifier in cervical spondylosis. These are Bala or Sida cordifolia, castor root or Ricinus communis, Amalaki or Emblica officinalis, Shunthi or ginger and Gambhari or Gmelina arborea.
- Medicines – Some of the effective Ayurvedic medicines include Rasnairandadi kashaya, Yogaraja Guggulu and Sahacharadi Kashaya.
Above ayurvedic treatments not only give you relief from cervical spondylosis but also stop further degeneration of the affected tissues.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!