Women over the age of 25 gradually begin to reduce the muscle mass and fat or adipose deposition happens at almost 5 times the pace. There is also the collagen reduction that happens alongside. All these put together give the flab, which is a point of embarrassment for women. Thighs, stomach, below the butt are common areas and could require changing your wardrobe. However, given that almost 93% of the women have cellulite, a lot of been done to identify ways this. From topical chemicals to medications to surgery, there are various options.
If that sounds comforting, don't. Cellulite is not something that can be cured and will stay forever. It requires a lot of dedication and lifestyle changes to sustain the lost fat (learn more about The Healthiest Ways to Achieve Fat Loss), which is the most important phase. Also, cellulite is transmitted genetically, and if you have a propensity for it, the chances of relapse are equally high.
Listed below are some ways to manage cellulite:
- Dietary (learn more about Dietary Fats) changes: Reduce salt, salty foods swell up the fat cells, making the cellulite more prominent. Adding a lot of fiber and whole grains cleanses the intestines of toxins and reduces the amount of fat.
- Exercise regularly: Any physical exercise, be it walking, jogging, cycling, or swimming, that you enjoy is completely welcome. All these help burn fat and reduce cellulite. There are also specific exercises aimed at working the glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, hip flexors and abductors - one-legged lunges, squat and side lifts, V-leg pulls, etc.
- Massage: There are special massage bars with multiple notches on it, which helps stimulate fat and improve fluid circulation. Cellulite also has lymphatic drainage and a high chance of infection. Massage also improves lymphatic drainage, thereby reducing the chances of infection.
- Exfoliating: Body scrubs, especially around the area of maximum collection, also help reduce fat deposits. Scrubs containing coffee are particularly helpful, as it improves lymphatic drainage and caffeine tightens skin. There are also do-it-yourself kits available that claim to reduce cellulite. A word of caution here, use under medical supervision.
- Body Serum and body contour creams: These contain a combination of caffeine and antioxidants along with some active ingredients that are proven to mobilize fat deposits. Again, better to get medical opinion before use.
- Cellulite blasting technology: There are ways to mobilize cellulite by applying shockwaves to the area of cellulite and dissolve the fat. It is proven to be safe and is FDA approved.
Studies are also underway to test a drug that will dissolve the collagen in the skin, thereby reducing cellulite. This is yet to be proven and once done may become hugely popular as cellulite is a universal problem with women. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.