A sore throat is usually caused by a bacterial infection and it usually indicates an onset of cold. It may also indicate strained vocal chords or a strep throat. Eating proper foods can help in easing the symptoms and fight inflammation; thus providing the requisite energy to the body.
The 9 foods which help in treating a sore throat are:
- Bananas: These foods are packed with vitamin C that allows you to recover quickly from an illness. They are also relatively soft and easier to swallow which make them a preferred food if you have a sore throat.
- Cooked carrots: Carrots contain good amounts of vitamin A; eating them roasted or sauteed is a good way to consume the required nutrients. This vegetable also contains carotenoids in good amounts which are beneficial for the body.
- Tea: Tea is usually preferred by people when they have a sore throat. Tea has anti-inflammatory properties, which help in fighting infections in the body. Tea also helps in fighting stress and contributes to increased focus.
- Cooked cabbage: Cabbage contains antioxidants along with Sulfur, vitamin K and vitamin C, which helps in fighting infection in the body. It can also relieve symptoms of headache.
- Sage: Sage is a herb that has powerful infection fighting properties. Mixing crushed sage with warm water or sprinkling it in your soup can help alleviate symptoms of cold and sore throat.
- Honey: Honey is an effective treatment for sore throat because of its strong anti-inflammatory properties. It is recommended to take honey during a sore throat.
- Licorice: Licorice is another remedy that can be used to treat sore throat. It has certain properties, which cause a reduction in pain and help in clearing the airways.
- Yoghurt: Yoghurt is soft, which makes it easier to gulp down in case of a sore throat. You may even add some fresh fruits to the mix for taste.
- Garlic: Garlic has strong antibacterial properties, which help in easing symptoms of sore throat. You may directly chew garlic or add them to your food to gain the maximum benefits.