5 Exercises For Managing Ankylosing Spondylitis!
Written and reviewed by
Dr. Ranjana Arora
91% (219 ratings)
B.P.T, M.P.T(ORTHO), Certification In Gym Instructor & Prenatal & Post Natal
17 years experience
Ankylosing spondylitis is typically associated with inflammatory back pain that can impair movements and reduce the quality of the patient’s life. Here are 5 exercises that can be used to treat ankylosing Spondylitis.
- Walking: Walking is a low impact workout that can be very beneficial for ankylosing spondylitis patients. This is the ideal way to ease the body into exercising. Start with a short 5-10 minute walk and gradually increase the duration of your walks to half an hour at a stretch. Try and keep your spine as straight as possible and hold your head high while you walk. Walking can help relieve pain and increase the range of movements.
- Swimming: Swimming is another low-intensity workout that can help. This type of exercising helps strengthen the muscles and heart while minimizing joint pain. Swimming puts no pressure on the joints and hence is ideal for ankylosing spondylitis patients. The breaststroke can help build chest expansion and make your neck and shoulders more flexible. For a little extra pampering, you could go for a swim in a heated pool.
- Lightweight Training: Look for lightweight training exercises that help strengthen your muscles without putting pressure on the joints. Plank exercises are great as they work many muscle groups simultaneously. You could also try lifting light weights or household canned goods to strengthen your limbs. Exercise machines can be helpful but must be used with caution. The key to exercising is to start slowly and gradually increase the duration of time you hold a position and the number of repetitions.
- Yoga: Yoga is very beneficial for patients with musculoskeletal conditions. It reduces pain, increases flexibility and helps open out the joints to make them more mobile. Yoga also helps boost mental health and reduces stress and anxiety. When practising yoga, start by stretching the muscles and gradually work your way through the asanas. Do not be in a hurry to move from one position to another. You should ideally aim to fit in half an hour yoga into every morning.
- Dance: Dancing is the most fun way to exercise. This helps burn calories that in turn helps with weight management. The lower your weight, the lower the pressure on your joints. Pick a tempo that you are comfortable with and limit repetitive motions to avoid straining any part of your body. If you like you could even join a dance class.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
found this helpful