Allergic rhinitis is also known as hay fever. This is a seasonal cold allergy condition that comes with many symptoms like reddening and watering of eyes, blocked and runny nose, flu, headaches and many others. The causes of hay fever include exposure to dust, nettle, pollen, pet hair and even pollution. While most doctors prescribe anti allergies to deal with this problem, it can also be cured and treated with the help of alternative treatments.
Let us find out about five such treatments:
- Chinese Medicine: Traditional Chinese Medicine is also known as TCM, and it usually works by incorporating eight essential herbs along with massages, acupuncture and dietary tweaks in order to create a basis for treatment. These methods aim at creating a more congenial environment within the body of the patient so that the patient is more equipped to deal with the problem causing allergens that come in from the environment outside.
- Acupuncture and Acupressure: This is also a Chinese form of treatment that aims at redistributing the Qi or Chi, which is the life giving energy within us. With the help of this needle based treatment, the various points in the body are activated so that the Chi quotient is more favourable and fights these allergens and symptoms with greater gusto.
- Ayurveda: This is an ancient life science that originated India. With the use of herbs, condiments and spices in one's everyday life, Ayurveda brings in other methods of treatment including Yogic postures and poses, dietary changes, massages and more in order to treat conditions such as allergic rhinitis. The problem of hay fever or allergic rhinitis may be cured with the use of seven herbs including piper nigrum, terminalia bellerica, piper longum, and others which can help in soothing the symptoms and creating resistance towards the allergens in the long run. Along with this, Jal Neti can also be practised so as to clear the nasal tracts and airways. One should also avoid food that is cold and can give rise to an aggravation of the dosha in question.
- Ointment: The use of herbal allergy absorbing creams and ointments can also help in averting the onset of conditions like allergic rhinitis. These ointments or creams may contain long chain hydrocarbons which can get absorbed into the nasal mucosa.It can be applied three times in a day.
- Capsaicin: Extracted from red peppers, this wonder ingredient can help in desensitising the nerve fibres in thenasal tract which create hyperresponsiveness of the nose. In this way, this ingredient can curb the allergic reaction.
- Gavyamrut Grut: Gavyamrut Grut is made by mixing pure cow ghee with certain herbs. It should be used as nasal drops and is a very effective and time tested remedy for allergic rhinitis.
As a part of the treatment, one must also take care to avoid allergens that cause the allergic rhinitis. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.