Humans have five senses and while we perceive up to 80 per cent of all impressions by means of our sight, eye is the most important sensory organ of the human body. Eye Diseases, as the name suggests, is a diseases related to the eye and there can be several causes which lead to eye disorder. Some of the common Eye Diseases consists of Cataracts, Retinal Disorders, Conjunctivitis, Coloboma, and many more.
HOW IS EYES DISEASES DIAGNOSED?
Eye diseases are diagnosed by an eye specialist or an physician. The doctor will perform a physical examination and ask for medical details and family history. Further diagnosis will include tests eg allergy tests, culture, blood test, etc.
HOW IS EYES DISEASES TREATED?
Treatment of eye diseases depends on the type of disease. Eye infections require antibiotic dosage. Severe eye diseases require surgical treatment. Some mild eye diseases can be treated with home treatments
DID YOU KNOW?
While some Eye Diseases are minor and don't last long, few can lead to a permanent loss of vision, and therefore, it is important to visit an Ophthalmologist and seek medical attention.
Viruses and fungi are the two most harmful particles that can damage the optic nerve in your eye. The area surrounding the eyeball is the most sensitive part of your eye. The front surface of the eye including the cornea and wet membrane near eyelids and outer eye can also cause problems in vision due to eye diseases. You should consult your doctor and get your eyes checked as there is a risk of total loss of vision and threatening medical condition. The continuous damage to the optic nerve can lead to glaucoma to permanent loss of vision and huge discomfort in living the life forever.
Some common eye disease includes glaucoma and cataracts and a brief description of the two are given below:
1. Glaucoma- Glaucoma occurs when there is a huge pressure in your eyes and it continues to increase over a period of years. Glaucoma causes serious damage to the optic nerves and if you leave it untreated then there will be total blindness in a very short span of time. The optic nerve is responsible for transmitting images to the brain and hence considered very sensitive to your eye. Glaucoma can be inherited from someone in your family and starts to show only at later years in your life as you grow older which reduces the immunity levels in your body. Since glaucoma is a serious eye disorder you should get a proper eye check up when you reach the age 40 years old so that eye pressure can be checked and necessary precautions taken.
2. Cataracts- The formation of excessive proteins on your eye can make it very cloudy for you to get proper vision and the eye disorder is known as cataracts. The passage of light from the eye lens becomes difficult and can result in total loss of vision which makes cataract a serious eye disorder. Cataract requires surgery and hence you have to visit a nearby eye health care provider to get all the required information. After your age crosses 65 your chances of cataracts increase and hence cataract requires monitoring on a daily basis. The various types of cataracts are given as:
1. Age related cataracts are formed as you grow older.
2. Traumatic cataracts as a result of trauma and injury including sudden illness.
3. Congenital cataracts are developed since childhood and you are born with some illness that causes cataracts directly to your eyes since birth.
4. Secondary cataracts which are caused due to some other unrelated illness like diabetes, or medication. Exposure to harmful ultraviolet light or radiation also causes cataracts.
The other two eye disease is macular degeneration and dry eyes which requires treatment from your eye doctor.
In macular degeneration there is loss of vision in the center of the eye where the retina gets damaged. In wet macular degeneration there is a leaky blood vessel growing under your retina. Blurred eye is a symptom of macular degeneration.
Dry eyes are caused due to imbalance in the moisture and lubrication in the eye. Hence the tears are not able to lubricate your eye and causes pain and sensitivity often resulting in blurry vision. Dry eyes can be treated with eye drops and ointments prescribed by your doctor.
To maintain a proper vision in life you need to take proper care of your eyes. Lybrate gives you the ultimate chance to contact the best optometrists and ophthalmologists who will give you the best consultation in the industry. Lybrate offers you the best medical practitioners related to eye disease treatment or cataract surgery procedure in Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Coimbatore. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about eyeglasses and lenses.
Consult top doctors for Eyes Diseases online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Chillhar Road, Bhayandar, Kanakia, Bhayandar, Mandali Talav, Bhayandar, Navghar Road, Bhayandar, Sector 9, Bhayandar, Shanti Park, Bhayandar and in any other locality in Mumbai for Eyes Diseases.