Metformin 500 MG Tablet
Metformin 500 MG Tablet is a drug that helps maintain balanced blood sugar levels in the body. It is used to treat Type 2 diabetes, heart disorders and polycystic ovary syndrome. Metformin 500 MG Tablet is an oral drug that is used to control and balance blood sugar levels.
Metformin 500 MG Tablet works by decreasing the amount of glucose produced by the liver. It suppresses the quantity of glucose that the liver releases in the body. Thus, it lowers the blood sugar levels in the body of a patient suffering from Type 2 diabetes. Metformin 500 MG Tablet also increases your sensitivity to insulin, enabling your body to absorb larger quantities of glucose.
This medication is used in the treatment of conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension and polycystic ovarian syndrome. If you do not manage the condition of diabetes, it can result in kidney failure, obesity and heart disorders. Therefore, Metformin 500 MG Tablet helps keep your blood sugar levels low and your diabetes in check.
Metformin 500 MG Tablet does not increase the amount of insulin in the body; instead, it decreases the production of sugar. The liver of patients, who suffer from type 2 diabetes, produces thrice the amount of glucose and their bodies do not have the capacity to absorb these large amounts of glucose.
Metformin 500 MG Tablet is effective in lowering the amount of glucose that the liver releases. It also decreases your appetite and increases your body’s sensitivity to insulin, thus, reducing the amount of glucose that is absorbed by your blood. Increased sensitivity to insulin also lowers your levels of cholesterol and helps you to lose weight.
In some cases, it is advisable for the patients of certain conditions to avoid taking this medication. Pregnant women, women who are breast-feeding their infants and children below ten years should not take this medicine. You should also inform your doctor before taking this medicine, if you suffer from conditions like-
- Liver disease
- Kidney disorders
- Heart disease
- Diabetic ketoacidosis.
You should seek emergency medical aid, if you detect any of the side effects. It is important to avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine, since it can increase your risk of developing lactic acidosis.
The dosage of Metformin 500 MG Tablet that the doctor recommends for your treatment will be based on your age, your condition, the severity of your condition and the other medications you are currently taking. You should follow the course of this treatment until it is completed, and do not skip out on a dose.Read more: Type 1 diabetes
This tablet is helpful against the following conditions:
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
Impaired Kidney Function
How long is the duration of effect?The effect lasts for an average duration of 4 to 8 hours.
What is the onset of action?The peak effect of this medicine can be observed after 1-3 hours of administration.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant women.
Is it habit forming?No habit forming tendencies were reported.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?This medicine is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women.
Is It safe with alcohol?This medicine is found unsafe to consume alcohol with it.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?Driving must be avoided if you have too high or too low blood sugar/glucose level. Thus patient must avoid driving if any of these symptoms occur.
Does this affect kidney function?Caution must be taken in a patient with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Regular monitoring of kidney function test is advisable. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medication.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken in a patient with liver disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medication.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Metformin 500 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Missed Dose instructionsTake the missed dose as soon as you remember.
Overdose instructionsContact a doctor immediately if an overdose is suspected.
The medicine decreases glucose production in the liver, decreases intestinal absorption of glucose and improves insulin sensitivity by increasing bodies glucose uptake and utilization.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
Interaction with Lab Test
Interaction with Medicine
- Iodinated Contrast Media: Discontinue the usage of Metformin at least 48 hours prior to the intake of Iodinated Contrast media. Inform the doctor about Metformin use so that it can be temporarily discontinued.
- Gatifloxacin: Report the usage of either of the medicine to the doctor. Use of Metformin is not recommended along with Gatifloxacin and suitable alternates should be used instead.
- Amlodipine: Report the use of either of the medication to the doctor as dose adjustment and safety monitoring may be required.
- Aloe Vera: Consult your doctor for use of aloe vera while taking Metformin. Suitable dose adjustments and safety monitoring may be required if the intended use is for a long duration.
- Estradiol: Consult your doctor if you are planning to take Estradiol while taking Metformin. Dose adjustment might be required in such cases. It is advised to consult your doctor before starting or stopping any medication while taking metformin.
Interaction with Food
Interaction with Disease
- Lactic Acidosis: You should report the incidence of conditions like kidney impairment, heart disease, severe diarrhoea, septicemia to the doctor before taking Metformin. Supervised dosing and monitoring of blood sugar levels might be required in such cases. Any signs and symptoms indicative of the above-mentioned conditions should be reported immediately.
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency: Inform the doctor about incidences of anemia or Vitamin B12 deficiency so that suitable Vitamin supplements can be prescribed if needed.Vitamin B1 deficiency.
Ques: What is Metformin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the uses of Metformin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the Side Effects of Metformin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the instructions for storage and disposal Metformin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: How long do I need to use Metformin 500 MG Tablet before I see improvement in my condition?
Ques: Does Metformin 500 MG Tablet cause weight loss?
Ques: What are the benefits of taking Metformin 500 MG Tablet?
Ques: Can Metformin 500 MG Tablet make you sleepy?
Ques: How to take Metformin 500 MG Tablet?
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.