Mefnil 200 MG Tablet is used to bring about an abortion in women who have been pregnant for about seven weeks or 50 days. It is used in combination with misoprostol. Mefnil 200 MG Tablet is also known as RU-486. Mefnil 200 MG Tablet is a synthetic steroid which functions by interfering with the hormone that helps pregnancy to continue.
On using Mefnil 200 MG Tablet you may experience some side effects. These reactions include vaginal bleeding, constant feelings of fatigue, chest pain, cough, fever, body sores, difficulty in urination, difficulty in breathing, sweating, diarrhea, anxiety, vomiting, nausea, lightheadedness, increased abdominal pain, paleness, tremors, insomnia, weakness, acidity and indigestion.
Before taking Mefnil 200 MG Tablet you should have a discussion with your doctor and tell him if you have any of the conditions mentioned below:
The dosage for Mefnil 200 MG Tablet is prescribed by your doctor depending on your age, weight, overall health and current condition. The usual dose in case of abortion is about 200 mg orally once. From day two or three, the dosage is about 800 mcg every 24 or 48 hours. While taking Mefnil 200 MG Tablet you are meant to put the tablets in each cheek pouch and keep it there for around half an hour. Should any remnants remain, swallow it with water. After 7 days, you are required to visit your doctor to check if you are still pregnant and also to monitor the quantity and frequency of the bleeding.
Information given here is based on the salt and content of the medicine. Effect and uses of medicine may vary from person to person. It is advicable to consult a Gynaecologist before using this medicine.
The uterine fibroids are one of the most common gynecologic problems, with over 40-50% of women having them at some point in their life. The number and size of the fibroids, the age of onset, associated symptoms like dysfunctional bleeding and pelvic pain will determine the management of fibroid. The following is a series of management measures, starting from the most conservative to the most invasive.
1. Wait and watch: In women who are asymptomatic, it is best to watch them for the development of symptoms without any intervention. Also, in women nearing menopause, it is best to just watch the fibroids as they just shrink once menstruation ceases.
2. Medical therapy: In some women, menstrual cycles could be heavy or irregular and require hormonal replacement. They could also have occasional pain, and so may require painkillers.
3. Noninvasive procedure: MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery is when the women are inside the MRI scanner and an ultrasonic transducer is used for treatment. The exact location of the fibroids are identified and sound waves are used to destroy the fibroid. Done on an outpatient basis, it is safe and effective.
4. Minimally invasive procedures: Uterine artery embolization is where the arterial supply is cut off to reduce fibroid growth. Myolysis is where laparoscopically heat or cold waves are used to lyse off the fibroids. Endometrial ablation is where the uterine lining is destroyed through high-intensity heat or cold waves.
5. Invasive procedures: Abdominal or Laparoscopic myomectomy is where the fibroids are removed through an abdominal incision or keyhole surgery. If fibroids are extensive and completed family, hysterectomy is the choice of treatment. Given their high incidence, fibroids require management based on symptoms, age, and other considerations as discussed and decided between the patient and the doctor.
There are two methods by which abortion can be done:
Surgical or Medical Abortion for Unwanted Pregnancy
Surgical abortion is preferred if patient desires concurrent tubal ligation or IUCD (CuT) insertion. If a woman fulfills the criteria for selecting either method i.e. before 7 weeks, final choice has to be given to the woman.
Summary of choice between Surgical or Medical abortion in India
Advantages of Medical Abortion
Disadvantages of medical abortion
Advantages of Surgical Abortion
Disadvantages of surgical abortion
Related Tip: Why eating fish is essential for a healthy pregnancy??