Blood in the semen is known as hematospermia. Prostate biopsy is the most common cause of blood in the semen.Blood in the semen may be caused by tumours, infections, anatomical abnormalities, stones, or inflammation in many sites throughout the genitourinary system.The symptoms are:
2. Pain with ejaculation
3. Blood in urine
4. Lower back pain
6. Tenderness in the tester or the scrotum
7. Swelling in the testes or the scrotum
8. Swelling in the groin area
HOW IS BLOOD IN SEMEN DIAGNOSED?
Some of the most commonly performed diagnostic tests are:
• Urinalysis and cultures to identify any sexually transmitted or other infections.
• Imaging studies such as ultrasound or MRI to identify any tumors or abnormalities.
HOW IS BLOOD IN SEMEN TREATED?
Treatment methods for blood in semen are:
• Antibiotics for treating the infection
• Anti-inflammatory medication for treating the inflammation
• For high blood pressure or STD or liver disease, appropriate treatment is followed
For repeated appearance of blood in the semen, an urologist may be consulted.
DID YOU KNOW?
In many cases, no obvious cause can be found for blood in the semen, in which case it may be the result of a forgotten or unnoticed injury to the genitals, such as a trouser-zip accident.