Dandruff is basically a side effect or result of excessive dry scalp and is often referred to as seborrheic dermatitis. In many cases it can be the result of underlying conditions like psoriasis or even eczema of the scalp. The symptoms of the same include extreme itchiness in the scalp area followed with very flaky white formation on the same.
HOW IS DANDRUFF DIAGNOSED?
The diagnosis is usually done by a dermatologist or general physician. Generally, a physical examination will suffice in such conditions and it can even be diagnosed at home. Yet persistent itchiness and swelling calls for tests that can reveal other, more serious skin ailments.
HOW IS DANDRUFF TREATED?
Dandruff treatment is possible at home, through ayurveda or even homeopathy. Usually doctors offer a special shampoo that is made to treat and combat dandruff and prevent it from recurring. Diet changes are advised along with drinking lots of water to combat dryness.
DID YOU KNOW?
One should shampoo and condition the hair daily to treat this condition.
Dandruff, or the condition of a flaky irritated scalp, redness of the skin accompanied by a tingling sensation of the skin is a very common problem which afflicts a major section of human beings irrespective of their race or gender. Though it can occur throughout the year, the problem usually worsens in winters. Dry skin, seborrheic dermatitis, poor hygiene and cleanliness, reaction against hair care products and/or medical conditions like psoriasis or eczema commonly cause dandruff. It may also be a result of a fungal infection.
Since it is difficult to remove dandruff, it is common to ask how to get rid of dandruff? It is pertinent to know that there are very effective home-remedies for dandruff to get rid of dandruff easily. The dandruff home remedies are easily available and have no side-effects unlike the OTC products like salicylic acid, ketoconazole, selenium sulphide and zinc pyrithione. These chemicals remove dandruff but also sap the hair of its natural oils, making it brittle and lifeless.
You may also try any of the following remedies for dandruff at home:
• Add a few-drops of tea-tree oil to your regular shampoo. It removes dandruff and keeps your mane glossy and moisturized.
• Crush two aspirins and mix them with your ordinary shampoo. Rub this mixture onto your head and keep for two-minutes before rinsing thoroughly. Lather with regular shampoo and rinse again. The salicylic content of the aspirin will get rid of dandruff.
• Use your mouthwash to rinse your hair after shampoo. Mouthwashes have anti-fungal ingredients which counter the dandruff problem effectively. Follow up with a conditioner.
• Mix one-quarter cup of apple-cidar vinegar in one-quarter cup of water and massage your scalp with it. The acid content of the vinegar changes the pH balance of the scalp and helps to remove dandruff. Wrap your head in a towel for 15mnutes-1 hour before shampooing it to allow the mixture to remove dandruff.
• Rub a small quantity of baking soda onto your scalp and wash vigorously. A change in the pH balance of the scalp prevents dandruff formation.
• Lemon juice is one the best home-remedies for dandruff treatment at home. Use two tablespoons of lemon juice to massage your scalp. Follow it up by washing your hair with a cup of water into which one teaspoon lemon juice has been mixed. Use this daily for dandruff-free hair.
• Massage aloe-vera gel onto your scalp before shampoo. This home-remedy for dandruff will soothe the itch.
• Make a pack of crushed garlic with honey. This natural remedy is excellent in treating dandruff.
• Soak a few neem leaves in warm water overnight. Wash your hair with the strained water the next morning. You can also make a paste of the leaves and water and apply it to your scalp. Wash it off with a mild shampoo after one hour.
• Paste of fenugreek powder is a good way of dandruff treatment at home.
• Add olive-oil to your shampoo. As an alternative, you may massage 10-12 tablespoons of olive oil into your scalp at night. Shampoo the following morning to cure dandruff.
Here at Lybrate, you receive access to the best dermatologists. Contact the top dermatologists online, send them a query or book an online appointment for consultation, all at the click of a button. We provide you with simpler and instant access to the best medical opinion in the country. Find the best dermatologists in Rajkot, Surat, Thane, Thoothukudi, Vadodara etc. Subscribe to Lybrate.com for more tips on how to treat dandruff at home. Get medical certified suggestion on the best ways to get rid of dandruff and natural remedies.
Call doctors and view Dandruff treatment cost in Akkulam, Ambalam Jn., Ambalamukku, Anayara, Arasumoodu, Attingal and in any other locality in Trivandrum. On Lybrate you can connect with top doctors, book appointment online, see reviews, consultation fees for Dandruff.