Top 5 Home Remedies To Treat The Irritable Condition Of Dandruff
Diploma in Practical Dermatology, MD - Dermatology , Venereology & Leprosy, MBBS
10 years experience
Dandruff is one of those uncalled for hair conditions we all have trouble dealing with. It not just takes our self confidence down but also acts as a trigger to a number of scalp problems that we might face in the future. But, it is not as if one has to go through an expensive salon treatment to get rid of the unwanted dandruff. Basic hygiene and a few good rules could be effective in treating the irritable condition of dandruff. Here are a few:
- Coconut oil: This oil is supposed to have anti fungal properties and also keeps the scalp from getting itchy. For best results, mix coconut oil with lemon and rub it in the scalp gently. Leave for some time and then again wash the hair. This should be done at least three times in a week to get rid of dandruff.
- Vinegar: It is one of the other ingredients that are a proven anti-dandruff. Application of fungus helps to kill the fungi and bacteria associated to dandruff. Vinegar is rich in acidic content and thus reduces flaking a great deal. White vinegar and water should be mixed in equal proportions and applied to hair thoroughly. Leave it for some time and wash the hair thoroughly. Follow this for three times a week for best results.
- Neem: Ancient herbs hold relevance till today. The medicinal and cooling properties of Neem are a great remedy for treating dandruff. Nature is the best way to go and Neem has been a tested element for all skin ailments and same applies to the fungi that accumulate as the result of flakes. Boil Neem leaves in water and use the broth to wash hair.
- Garlic: A lot of people seem to avoid garlic on their hair because of the pungent smell associated to it. However, the medicinal properties of garlic are too many to be overlooked. The benefits of raw and crushed garlic are too many to be listed and have been tested since a long time. For best results, pound garlic cloves with water and wash your hair with the liquid. And for the smell, you could add honey and ginger to the mixture.
- Yogurt: Perhaps the most common method used for treating dandruff since a long time. Yogurt continues to win our trust every time. This is simple as it could get. Apply yogurt to the scalp and leave it for some time. Then wash the yogurt after around an hour and use a mild shampoo to wash off the hair. Repeat the procedure for at least two days a week.
found this helpful