The fever itself isn’t a disease but a symptom of a disease. It is generally caused when the immune system heats itself to fight the infections that enter our body. One of the most common reasons a person catches a fever is due to Influenza or the common cold.
Though fever is a common symptom, it can aggravate very quickly if not taken care of properly. This article will educate patients how to take care of themselves if they have a fever. The first and foremost step of taking care is to go to a doctor and get a proper diagnosis.
Upon a proper diagnosis, one can determine the kind of fever they are having. If someone has a fever due to diseases like Malaria then the course of action will be quite different. However, following are the common steps for most of the fevers:
Do’s: While Having a Fever
● The first step is to keep a proper check of the temperature every 2 hours. For that, it is advisable to keep a thermometer handy. For better accuracy, it is better to carry a digital one.
● The next step is to keep the patient hydrated as fever usually leads to loss of appetite. This can cause dehydration and loss of nutrients.
● Drinking water isn’t enough to battle dehydration, which is why the patient will need to take the ORS solution every 15 minutes.
● If the temperature rises, one should soak a cloth in cool water and put it on the forehead for a few minutes.
● If the temperature keeps rising, the patient should take Paracetamol only.
● Get a blood check by calling a local pathology technician and subsequently send the report to the doctor to get a proper diagnosis.
Don'ts: While Having a Fever
● Don’t take an Antibiotic unless the doctor prescribes it.
● The fever may cause temporary body pain and stiffness; don’t take Ibuprofen and other painkillers to get rid of it.
● Don’t take any kind of NSAIDS without doctor’s supervision.
● Don’t take any kind of dairy products or junk food.
● Don’t starve because of the loss of appetite.
● Don’t agitate by doing any kind of household work or exercise.
● Don’t sleep with the air conditioning on.
● Avoid drinking and smoking while having a fever.
● If the doctor prescribed antibiotics, don’t quit halfway. It is important that one must complete the course of antibiotics.
● Don’t take a bath while having a fever; it is better to clean the body with a soaked cloth or sponge.
Though fever is a fairly common disease, the treatment can go haywire if the usage of certain medicines isn’t done properly. Following the above instructions will help to take care of when someone has a fever and will help to get better. However, if the fever isn’t going down after 2-3 days, one should see a doctor immediately.