Common Specialities
{{speciality.keyWord}}
Common Issues
{{issue.keyWord}}
Common Treatments
{{treatment.keyWord}}

Stroke: What You Need To Know?

Written and reviewed by
Dr. Devesh K Singh 91% (19 ratings)
MBBS Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, MS - General Surgery, Mch - Neurosurgery, FLCS
Neurologist, Bulandshahar  •  17 years experience
Play video

Greetings!

I am Dr. Devesh and I would like to speak to you about waist pain. Waist pain is a very common disease these days. Earlier, we used to come across cases of waist pain in patients aged 40+ but these days, even 20 years old are affected by this problem. There are multiple causes of this disease and one of the major reason for the increment in such cases is our unhealthy lifestyle. It is the major cause of waist pain among the youngsters. Talking about multiple causes - one of the biggest reason is distorted daily routine, causing the imbalance in your circadian rhythm. Also, the usual posture of sleeping and sitting is hugely distorted and prolonged sitting sessions even in the correct posture is damaging to your body. An accidental damage to your bone due to some previous injury, you can also face waist pain in that case. In case, your cancer has reached to your spine, or the bones of your waist which has formed any tumour/lump in the neurons concerning the lower portion of your body, you can also face waist pain in such cases. Your waist pain is not a disease but a full syndrome. There are so many health issues related to this syndrome that it needs proper diagnosis and clinical evaluation with the help of MRI. It was impossible to manage your waist pain without a proper evaluation of the symptoms.

Waist pain related with the distorted lifestyle is mostly treated with a change to proper lifestyle, rest and improvements in the sitting, lying and walking posture, which leads to full recovery in 80% of the cases. But the remaining 20% cases are mostly treated with drug therapy and in severe cases, we opt for surgical treatments. In the routine degenerative disease of the spine, what we refer to as Spondylitis - in which the spinal vertebrae - wait, I'll show you - in this model, the middle disc gets distorted outwards which leads to the increase in pressure of nearby neurons and veins. This pressure in the vein supplying to the lower portion also transfers pain to that portion and that is referred to as ‘Referred Pain’. It is very important to know about the presentation in the case of waist pain - the presentation is concerned with the pain in the waist and the portion of the referred pain. The referred pain is transferred in the fixed dermatomal pattern, hence dermato-neurological pattern examination is mandatory for all the spine patients.

This confirms our clinical diagnosis which gets double assured on the basis of CT and MRI scans, according to which further treatment is given to the patients. If we take a sample of 100 patients, then, 80 patients recover with normal symptomatic treatment in which the discs get inwards within 3-4 weeks and patients feel better with reduced pressure in their veins. The rest of the 20 cases are treated with the discectomy, in which the disc is surgically removed by cutting of through this vertebra. There is a classical pattern where this bone is cut through to remove the disc. Another pattern is the endoscopic pattern where the lamina and pedicle are cut through to remove the disc. Even after so many treatments available, prevention is always better than cure. You can easily prevent your waist pain with a healthy lifestyle, regulated weight in accordance to your height. Always go for a morning walk or any physical exercise which suits you - e.g. Yoga, aerobics, or even a visit to the gym where you're not doing any heaving weight exercise or any power requiring activity. Anything which doesn't exert weight on your spine and waist and is increasing your mobility is good for your body.

If you'll take care of all these important points along with the right posture of sitting, you'll hopefully delay your problem of waist pain. Eventually, it's normal to get affected with waist pain as it is a degenerative disease with age. The more you are accustomed to prevention, the longer your spine will stay protected.

2675 people found this helpful
Icon

Book appointment with top doctors for Stroke treatment

View fees, clinic timings and reviews