We have now reached that time of the year when we all look forward to the festivities and celebrations for Christmas. And, it goes without saying that celebrating Christmas is synonymous with parties, which not only involves a get-together but also unlimited dance, food, and drinks. It is also that time of the year when we all forget our resolution of sticking to a healthy diet. But, why waste your entire year’s efforts when you can balance your efforts and at the same time, enjoy the Christmas week?
Surprised? Well, here are some Christmas party tips that will let you enjoy every bit of it without inviting any troubles related to health.
Prepping up for the Party
The most important thing to remember before the party is that you must not skip meals anticipating the high-calorie food that you would have at the party. Stick to your regular meals and also don’t forego your exercise routine.
- General Tips
- Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. Consume not just water, but other healthy liquids as well.
- Before hitting the party, have a small meal that will make you feel satiated. This will help avoid unnecessary snacking.
- Special Diet Tip: Take juice and tender coconut water as drinks and egg whites, a bowl of soup, fruits, or diet chivda as snacks right before leaving for the party.
- Cheat Tip: Drink a glass full of buttermilk before leaving for the party. It will keep you satiated and will also help prevent unnecessary bloating after the party.
The Party Day
When you are at the party, make wise choices rather than just gorging on unhealthy and fried snacks. It might seem to be a difficult task, but with a little effort, you can make healthier choices.
- General Tips
- Keep your focus on the dance floor and the party, rather than just focussing on what is being served.
- Refrain from having food items that are deep-fried and choose steamed, boiled, or grilled food items.
- Choose vegetables and lean meat rather than the noxious red meat.
- Have salads without the creamy and fat-laden dressing. If pasta is on the menu, go for pasta in the red sauce rather than the cheesy white sauce, extremely high in calories.
- Keep a check on your portion size by choosing a smaller plate and by sharing your food .
- Special Diet Tip: Try fresh fruits, green veggies, steamed or boiled food items and whole grains.
- Cheat Tip: Keep chewing a gum until you really feel like spitting it out. This will help you keep away from high-calorie fried and processed snacks.
Once the party is over, it is time to detoxify your body and to get back to your original plan. However, it is important to realize that there is no need to have guilty pangs for the food that you had at the party.
- General Tips
- Consume home-made food and limit your intake of oil, salt, and sugar.
- Take green tea, infused water, or just plain water as it will help you to detoxify.
- Eat whole grains and refrain from having processed food or any food item made of refined flour.
- Choose whole fruits over fruit juice.
- Special Diet Tip: Consume idli, poha, upma, or muesli for breakfast, whole grains and fruits for lunch, and dal, soup, curd, and salad for dinner.
- Cheat Tip: Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up, two hours before every meal, and one hour after every meal. It will detoxify your body fast and keep you energetic throughout the day.