Masturbation - 6 Myths Around It
Dr. S.S Jawahar
92% (189 ratings)
Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery (BAMS), MD - Alternate Medicine, Certified Course In Herbal(Ayurvedic) Medicine
34 years experience
Masturbation is a natural sexual practice and has given birth to all kinds of myths which stops people from indulging in this form of self-pleasure and here are the top myths about masturbation:
- It can cause you to suffer from Erectile Dysfunction: Erectile Dysfunction refers to the inability to maintain or get an erection during intercourse. The causes of this sexual dysfunction are varied, but masturbation doesn't figure in the list of causes. What really happens is that when you masturbate repeatedly, you become used to your own touch or to a certain kind of sensation. As a result, you may find it difficult to have orgasms with your partner.
- Reduces sex drive: Masturbation does not reduce your sex drive or prevent you from having orgasms. Many people also claim that women get addicted to vibrators and cannot enjoy sex without them. However, there is no truth behind this.
- Children do not masturbate: Masturbation is a normal childhood habit, wherein young children discover the private parts of their bodies and the feelings of pleasure that arise from this activity. Most children begin to play with their private parts by about 5-6 years of age. A child can masturbate once a week or several times a day. There are even researches out there that show male foetuses masturbating in the womb.
- It can cause blindness: Blindness is the most outrageous myth associated with self-induced orgasms. Till date, there has not been a medical case to prove it.
- People in relationships do not masturbate: Whether you're single or in a relationship, masturbation is a healthy sexual activity that you can engage in to fulfil your sexual desires. Studies show that masturbation is a very common behaviour; about 92% of men and 62% of women masturbate. Sometimes, couples also engage in masturbation together as part of their sexual activity.
- It causes infertility: Pleasuring yourself does not reduce your chances of getting pregnant or getting someone else pregnant. However, for men with a low sperm count, restricting ejaculations while trying to get their partner pregnant is a good idea. The only way masturbation can lead to infertility is if partners who share sex toys do not keep them clean and pass on STDs through them.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
found this helpful