Watching your hair fall and seeing bald spots grow may not affect your physical health, but can seriously affect your emotional health in terms of self image and confidence. Thankfully, this is not a condition you need to live with. Today, thinning hair and bald spots can be easily treated with hair transplant procedures. The type of hair transplant procedure best suited to a person depends on a number of factors. Some of these factors are the type of hair loss, the size of area and quality and quantity of hair follicles available.
Hair transplant procedures are of two types; Follicular Unit Extraction and Follicular Unit Transplantation. Here are a few differences between the two types of hair transplant procedures.
- Hair follicle harvesting: Follicular unit extraction involves surgically removing a strip of tissue with hair follicles from the back of the head. This is then divided into millions of grafts each with a few hair follicles. Lastly, these grafts are transplanted into the bald areas. In the follicular unit transplant process, the hair follicles are individually plucked from the scalp. As the hair follicles are removed randomly from all over the head, there loss of density in the donor area is hardly visible. As with follicular unit extraction, these hair follicles are then transplanted to the bald spots.
- Time taken: Follicular unit extraction requires considerably less time to harvest hair follicles as compared to follicular unit transplant. This is because the latter focuses on removing individual hair follicles. The second half of the process takes the same time for both processes.
- Pain factor: A traditional follicular unit extraction procedure has a longer healing period than the follicular unit transplant procedure as the former involves sutures that take the time to heal and can cause discomfort. This procedure also leaves behind scars in the area where the hair follicles are harvested from.
- Area to be treated: Follicular unit extraction is better suited to transplants over large areas while follicular unit transplant is ideal for small bald spots. This is because the follicle harvesting time for Follicular Unit Extraction procedures is the same whether the follicles are to be transplanted to a small or large area while the time taken for follicle harvesting by the latter procedure is directly proportional to the transplant area.
- Cost: Follicular unit transplant is the most expensive procedure between the two as it requires more time and expertise. However, newer techniques can reduce the cost per follicle closing the gap between the two procedures.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!