What is Follicular transfer (FT) is also known as follicular unit extraction (FUE).
It is a type of hair transplant procedure which is less invasive than the other types. It is performed when the person has a good hair growth at the back or side of the head which becomes the donor’s area.
How is it performed?
- The procedure is performed by specially designed instruments under a high powered microscope which provides precision for best and natural results. When the part gets numb the follicles are isolated with a specialized punch device which extracts the follicular units completely with necessary glands. This method is used to separate the surrounding tissue from the follicular unit which results in minimal injury and undetectable scarring.
- Then the follicles are removed without any damage to the area. If the scar is left behind it takes few days to heal proceeded by hair growth which takes about weeks.
- Then the extracted hair is prepared and sorted for treatment.
- Then the follicles are implanted in the scalp by making small incisions by microsurgical needles generally in a group formation of 1-4 to give a natural and recognizable look.
- To create a natural hairline transacted hair are used, which will start to grow within weeks naturally. The length of your hair depends upon the follicular units grafts. Approximately 12 months later you will have re-grown hair.
- You can get the discharge immediately after the treatment. In 5-7 days the healing takes place after which the redness and swelling disappear.
Advantages of Follicular Unit Extraction
- Easy recovery: As there were small incisions made in the procedure which lowers the risk of widening which generally occurs in FUT procedure. This is the reason there are fewer limitations on exercise post-procedure.
- Less scarring: FUE doesn’t produce linear scarring on the donor's area because it doesn’t require any sutures, scalpels; due to which you can wear your hair short too.
- Quick healing: As there is less scarring, the time required for healing is very less as compared to FUT where the scarring is more, therefore, the healing is slow.
Disadvantages of follicular unit extraction
- It’s expensive: As the cost is decided on a number of sessions required for the procedure. FUE requires more sessions than FUT, as this transplants individual follicle units which are more time-consuming.
- It’s temporary: In most of the cases it doesn’t last longer than FUT. because in this the follicular units are taken from a various area which leads to thinning of the donor zone and visible scarring.
- Shaving: The one who doesn’t like shaving can have a problem. Because FUE requires shaving of donor’s area. Only in advanced procedures like long hair FUE, shaving is not required.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!