Eggs are usually the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of a protein source that is cheap and easily available. You can eat them boiled, fried, scrambled or pair them with other foods. They are a powerhouse of nutrients such as vitamins and minerals that nourish your body.
Here are the reasons why eggs are considered to be the perfect super foods:
- Eggs contain Antioxidants: Eggs contain antioxidants such as Lutein and Zeaxanthin that help in providing nourishment to the eyes. It prevents certain diseases such as macular degeneration and eye cataracts.
- They are a nutrient powerhouse: They contain heart healthy fats, protein, Vitamins, minerals and other trace nutrients. They are also rich in Phosphorus, iron and Vitamin A. Don’t throw the yolk away fearing its cholesterol content as it contains most of the egg’s nutrients.
- They promote satiety: The carbohydrate content in eggs not being excessive, it spares the blood sugar levels from the dreaded spikes. Also, the high protein content of eggs tends to promote satiety. Eating eggs on a regular basis as a part of a healthy diet is known to reduce weight and lead to fat loss.
- They are good for your hair and skin: They contain Vitamin B12 and sulphur, both of them being panaceas of skin and hair related woes. Eggs are known to be the best sources of keratin (a type of protein present in nails and hair) in terms of bioavailability. (Bioavailability is how well a nutrient is absorbed by your body.)
- Boosts good cholesterol levels in the body: Regular egg consumption has been shown to increase good cholesterol levels (HDL) in the body, which in turn reduce chances of stroke and other heart diseases.
- They contain protein in good amounts: Eggs are the cheapest source of proteins and also the most readily available ones. They contain all the 9 essential amino acids that are required by the body. Eggs are one of the most preferred foods to gain muscle as the protein from eggs can easily be absorbed by the body. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Also Read: What are the benefits of eating antioxidant seed mix snacks daily?