A kidney stone is a solid mass that is formed from crystals present in the urine. People with normal body functioning have natural chemicals in their body that prevent the formation of kidney stones. Commonly, there are two kinds of kidney stones –
- Calcium - Stones that are made of oxalate and calcium.
- Uric acid - This develops when the urine of a person is too acidic.
- Struvite - Large stones that cause urinary obstruction.
- Cystine - These are very rare. Often occur in people with a genetic disorder called cystinuria.
A special diet or changes in diet is mostly suggested along with the prescribed medication who have kidney stones. This helps not only in the cure of kidney stones but prevention as well. Struvite and Cystine stones usually require intervention to help deal with the problem, the other two, calcium and uric acid stones can be managed with diet and medication both.
Thus, if you are diagnosed with calcium and uric acid stones, you can follow a diet specific to the type of stone which can assist in preventing the formation of stones.
- In case of a calcium kidney stone: If the patient is diagnosed with a calcium kidney stone, then he/she is advised to reduce the consumption of salt. Also, it is recommended to reduce the intake of processed food as well as food from any restaurant. The regular intake of calcium needs to be analyzed. A doctor will advise the daily intake of calcium. Also, try to avoid the artificial supplements, and have food that contains the basic level of calcium.
- In case of an oxalate stone: The patient is advised to reduce the consumption of oxalate-rich food, such as chocolates, nuts, and dark green vegetables if detected with oxalate kidney stone. As this cannot be completely excluded from the diet chart, the levels of consumption are hence kept low.
- In case of a uric stone: Uric stones are commonly detected in people who eat a lot of red meat. Red meat contains high levels of a chemical compound known as purine, which leads to the formation of higher levels of uric acid. A healthy diet in case of a uric stone comprises of fruits, vegetables, low-fat products, and whole grains. It is recommended to reduce or limit the consumption of alcohol as well as to opt for a diet that is low on animal protein and high of vegetables and fruits.
- Keep the body hydrated: Water reduces the concentration levels in urine, thereby bringing down the chances of stone formation. Sufficient consumption of water can work wonders to help cure or reduce kidney stones. Drinking enough water helps wash out the toxins while keeping the body well hydrated. It helps reduce chances of formation of a new stone. However, there is always confusion with the amount of water that needs to be consumed in a day. It is advised to have a minimum of 12 cups of water per day. This amount helps the body to stay hydrated, and thus function properly.
Medication is an obvious way to cure kidney stones, but a healthy diet can prevent further developing of kidney stones. Hence, following a diet suggested by your dietician, and avoiding certain types of food can prevent kidney stones.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!