Age spots refer to the patchy or scaly looking spots, generally of yellow or black color, that appear on a person’s hands, neck and face. Age spots are generally triggered by excessive sun exposure and visibly increase after the person turns forty. Not otherwise dangerous in nature, specialists have no medical remedies to suggest so as to get rid of them. People tend to correct their spots primarily for aesthetic reasons alone.
The measures that are most commonly employed and prescribed are stated below:
- Hydroquinone: It is an essentially effective cream with powerful bleaching properties that help in significant reduction of age spots.
- Glycolic Acid: Products rich in glycolic acid must be used in this regard since they exfoliate the skin and effectively diminish fine lines and wrinkles, and work wonders on age spots. Creams and lotions rich in these elements are mostly prescribed to treat the problem.
- Sunscreen: Since sun exposure is the primary reason behind age spot formations, sunscreen helps in shielding your skin from the harmful effects of the sun, thereby countering damage from excess sunbathing. Existing spots also become lighter and less noticeable.
- Laser Technology: Laser treatments aim at destroying the effects of discoloration and cause the patient’s skin to rejuvenate instantly. The procedure imparts minimum discomfort and requires little downtime. One might choose to opt for more than several sessions so as to achieve the best results for their skin.
- Microdermabraision: This is an incredibly popular non-invasive skin treatment procedure that makes use of crystals of zinc or any other suitable abrasive materials to exfoliate the uppermost layer of the skin and remove the hyper-pigmented appearance.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels work under the mechanism of dissolving dead skin of the affected region with the effect that new and radiant skin surfaces. Generally, an average of two or three sessions is considered to be sufficient for achieving the best results.
It is important to remember that a proper skincare regime plays a significant role in improving the quality of your skin and considerably lessening the years in your face. Also, remember to always carry a bottle of sunscreen every time you step out in the sun!