Acne Vulgaris, or more commonly known as acne or Pimples, is a skin condition that develops when the hair follicles get clogged with excess oil (sebum) and dead skin cells.
Types of Acne:
1. Black or white pimples; these blackheads and whiteheads are called comedones. Blackheads are surfaced on the skin while the whiteheads form just below the surface of the skin. Besides these two heads, inflammatory lesions may also give rise to scarring.
2. Papules are raised and small red bumps that may be caused due to infected or inflamed hair follicles
3. Pustules are red pimples, with pus on their tips
4. Nodules appear just below your skin surface and are usually painful
5. Cysts are larger lumps that contain pus
The main cause of acne is the blockage of hair follicles, which are made of hair and the sebaceous gland. When these tiny hair follicles plug themselves with excess sebum and dead skin cells, it results in acne. Your skin is rendered soft and lubricated by the sebum. This lubrication process may be hindered for any of the following reasons:
1. Excess production of oil by the hair follicles
2. Accumulation of dead skin cells
3. Bacteria buildup in the pores
Reasons behind Pimples
1. Hormonal changes during puberty or pregnancy
2. Side effects of certain medications such as birth control pills or steroids
3. Pimples can be hereditary as well
4. Consumption of foods laden with refined sugar, simple carbs and Deep fried and oily items.
5. Dandruff also can cause acne / pimples, more so on the forehead and back
The following are the home remedies that can be used to treat this condition:
1. Remove excess oil and dirt by cleaning the skin with a mild soap
2. Shampoo your hair on a regular basis
3. Use water-based cosmetics
4. Avoid squeezing pimples which otherwise would spread the excess oil and bacteria
5. Avoid the use of tight headbands or hats
1. Acne gels and creams containing Benzoyl Peroxide dry out the existing pimples, prevent the formation of new ones and kill bacteria that cause acne.
2. Sulfur, one of the major ingredients of lotions, masks and cleansers, is one of the best medications for acne.
3. Resorcinol removes the dead cells.
4. Salicylic acid, contained in soaps, prevents blockage of pores.