Dopamine is used to treat conditions such as trauma, renal failure, open-heart surgery, and chronic cardiac decompensation. It can also be used as an adjunct treatment to correct hemodynamic imbalances present in the shock syndrome due to myocardial infarction.
It is also used as an adjunct in the treatment of shock (eg, MI, open heart surgery, renal failure, cardiac decompensation, etc) which persists after adequate fluid volume replacement. This medication works by binding to α1 and β1 adrenergic receptors, thus increasing cardiac output and systemic vascular resistance.
Do not use this medication:
- if you are allergic to any of the ingredients present in it
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- if you are using any prescription or nonprescription drugs or other herbal and dietary pills and supplements
- if you have a history of occlusive vascular disease or any pre-existing diseases, and current health conditions
It should be taken in doses prescribed by the doctor. Dosage depends on conditions such as medical condition, diet, age, and counteraction with other medicines.
Use with caution in patients with cardiovascular disease or cardiac arrhythmias or patients with occlusive vascular disease. Correct hypovolemia and electrolytes when used in hemodynamic support. May cause increases in HR and arrhythmia. Avoid infiltration - may cause severe tissue necrosis. Use with caution in post-MI patients.
The medication can treat the below provided problems:
Decreased Blood Pressure
Is It safe with alcohol?This medication may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness with alcohol.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?This medication may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Please consult your doctor.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?This medication is probably safe to use during breastfeeding. Please consult your doctor.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?There is no data available. Please consult a doctor before consuming the drug.
Does this affect kidney function?There is no data available. Please consult a doctor before consuming the drug.
Does this affect liver function?There is no data available. Please consult a doctor before consuming the drug.
What is the onset of action?The effect of this medication is initiated within 5 minutes of its administration.
How long is the duration of effect?This medication will remain active for about 10 minutes after its administration.
Are there any missed dose instructions?If you miss a dose of this medication, please consult your doctor.
Are there any overdose instructions?If you miss a dose of this medication, please consult your doctor.
Below is the list of medicines, which contains Dopamine as ingredient
This medication contains a drug which used to treat low blood pressure and a very slow heart rate. It is primarily a norepinephrine precursor that acts on noradrenergic nerves. Its inotropic and chronotropic effects produce positive impacts on heart muscles thereby, increasing heart rate.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Medicine
- Beta-blockers (nonselective ones) may increase hypertensive effect; avoid concurrent use.
- Cocaine may cause malignant arrhythmias; avoid concurrent use.
- Guanethidine's hypotensive effects may only be partially reversed; may need to use a direct-acting sympathomimetic.
- MAO inhibitors potentiate hypertension and hypertensive crisis; avoid concurrent use.
- Methyldopa can increase the pressor response; be aware of the patient's drug regimen.
- Reserpine increases the pressor response; be aware of the patient's drug regimen.
- TCAs increase the pressor response; be aware of the patient's drug regimen.
Interaction with Disease
- Use with caution in patients with cardiovascular disease or cardiac arrhythmias or patients with occlusive vascular disease.
- May cause increases in HR and arrhythmia. Avoid infiltration - may cause severe tissue necrosis.
- Use with caution in post-MI patients.
Ques: What is Dopamine?
Ques: How long do I need to use Dopamine before I see improvement in my condition?
Ques: At what frequency do I need to use Dopamine?
Ques: Should I use Dopamine empty stomach, before food or after food?
Ques: What are the instructions for the storage and disposal of Dopamine?
Dopamine- Drug Information Portal [Internet]. druginfo.nlm.nih.gov. 2019 [Cited 12 December 2019]. Available from:https://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov/drugportal/name/dopamine
Dopamine- DrugBank [Internet]. Drugbank.ca. 2019 [Cited 12 December 2019]. Available from:https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00988
Sterile Dopamine Concentrate BP 200mg/5ml- EMC [Internet] medicines.org.uk. 2018 [Cited 12 December 2019]. Available from:https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3346/smpc
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.