Haemorrhoids, also known as piles, are swollen, inflamed veins in the rectum and anus. They often result from straining bowel movement or from increased pressure on these veins during pregnancy. Symptoms are:
• Painless bleeding during bowel movement
• Itching or irritation in anal region
• Pain or discomfort
• Swelling near your anus
• Leakage of faeces
HOW IS HEMORRHOIDS DIAGNOSED?
Most of the time, a health care provider can often diagnose hemorrhoids simply by a physical examination of the rectal area. External hemorrhoids can often be detected this way.
Tests that may help diagnose the problem include:
• Rectal exam
HOW IS HEMORRHOIDS TREATED?
In a severe case of Hemorrhoids, the doctor might recommend getting a rubber band ligation, in which the doctor cuts off the circulation of the Hemorrhoid by placing a rubber band around it.
DID YOU KNOW?
A person is more likely to develop Hemorrhoids during pregnancy.
Hemorrhoid occurs when blood vessels lining the lower walls of the rectum and anus and cushioning the bowel movement become swollen or inflamed. There are of two types:
• Internal: It is the condition in which bright red bleeding occurs from the rectum. It is painless.
• External: This condition is characterized by bleeding from the rectum and anal swelling. Like internal hemorrhoid, external hemorrhoid also lies inside the anus but has a tendency to prolapse or move outside. When thrombosis sets in, it causes the blood to clot Lying within the anus like the internal hemorrhoids, external hemorrhoids, also known as piles, often prolapse or move to the outside. If thrombosis sets in, the blood begins to clot. The resulting pain may disappear in a day or two. The swelling however takes upto a few weeks to heal. A small skin tag attached to the anus is left when the piles heals finally. Despite the great discomfort, piles, usually, is not a very serious condition.
Hemorrhoids cause bad hygiene as well as itching and irritation in the anal area.
Colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy are used to diagnose the symptoms of piles.
Though no fixed causes of piles have been identified, the symptoms of piles are commonly attributed to one of the following reasons:
• Straining during defecation.
• Exertion of tremendous pressure on the abdomen during pregnancy.
Treatment for piles does not follow a fixed course. The incidence of piles can be easily prevented if you follow these simple advises:
• Do not strain while defecating.
• Take more fibre in your daily diet.
• Make exercise a part of your daily routine.
• Do not lift heavy weights.
Home remedies for piles are simple and effective against the pain and discomfort of piles. Given below are a few of them.
• Increase consumption of dietary fibre or fibre supplements. Fibre helps in easy bowel movement.
• Take more oral fluids.
• Rest adequately, to prevent further wear and tear of the anal tissues.
• Use sitz-bath to cleanse the perineum or the area between the rectum and the vulva or scrotum. The warm water increases blood flow while the addition of medicines in the water ensures protection against microbial infection.
• Use steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs. Doctors advise to limit the use of these drugs to two weeks. These drugs, which may often include zinc oxide or petroleum jelly, lidocaine and vasoconstrictors like epinephrine, can cause skin-thinning.
If none of the home remedies for piles help to alleviate the piles symptoms, doctors may advise surgical procedure to the patient on the basis of his/her age and the nature of the symptoms themselves.
Lybrate offers you the chance to communicate with the best physicians from the comfort of your home. Expert medical advice from the top doctors is just a click away. You can send your questions online or book an appointment directly for free. Subscribe to Lybrate.com to know more on what is piles, symptoms of piles, home remedies for piles and so on. Search for the best general physicians in Thoothukudi, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune etc.
You can consult doctors online for Hemorrhoids from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in Agwanpur, Ajit Nagar, Ajronda, Ajronda Chowk, Anangpur Dairy, Ankhir and in any other locality in Faridabad.