Asthma is a common long term inflammatory disease of the airways of the lungs. It is characterized by recurring symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.
HOW IS ASTHMA DIAGNOSED?
Under the department of pulmonology it can be diagnosed by a general physician by conducting the following tests: 1. Spirometry 2.Methacholine challenge 3. Routine blood and urine tests
HOW IS ASTHMA TREATED?
There is no definitive cure for asthma. Only the symptoms can be addressed through treatment and management. Controller medications are taken daily to avoid triggers. Combination inhalers are helpful in opening the airways. Quick relief medications are used for quickly relaxing and opening the airways. Oral or intravenous corticosteroids may be given for acute or severe symptoms of asthma.
DID YOU KNOW?
Asthma occurs due to genetic and environmental factors.
Bronchial asthma, which is commonly known as asthma, is a chronic condition which leads to swollen airways of the lungs. These airways are called bronchial tubes, and act as a passage for air to enter and exit the lungs. As a result of asthma the inflamed airway makes breathing difficult. Certain environmental and physical triggers can aggravate this condition causing an asthma attack, leading to severe breathing problems. Although, metered dose inhaler (MDI) is an effective way through which asthma attacks can be controlled. Individuals suffering from chronic bronchitis, may also suffer from asthma attacks and generally carry MDI along with them, for safety,
Depending on asthma causes, the condition can be characterized into 2 types-
1. Asthma due to allergies- allergic triggers cause this types of asthma.
2. Asthma due to other factors- Various other factors like stress, exercise, ill health and variations in weather, cause this types of asthma.
Various asthma triggers that you should be aware of are-
• Outdoor allergens (pollen, seeds, dust)
• Indoor allergens (pet dander, dust mites, mould)
• Various types of drugs and foods
• Air irritants (smoke, chemicals fumes, odours)
• Infections (Cold, flu, hay fever)
• Strenuous exercise
• Excessive stress and anxiety
• Sudden weather changes
Asthma is a condition which occurs in adults and even children. Among children it is more common in boys, while among adults this condition affects women more. Thus, you should know the common symptoms of asthma so that you can consult your doctor whenever necessary-
• Cough- Bouts of cough occur especially in the night or early in the morning
• Wheezing- a squeaky sound generally occurs when asthma patients breathe
• Chest tightness- a common asthma symptom, it leads to a sense of claustrophobia, with a sensation that the chest is being squeezed.
• Shortness of breath- asthma patients generally find it difficult to catch their breath after strenuous physical activity.
If you are suffering from these symptoms and visit the doctor, he will suggest a lung function test after taking details of your medical history and conducting a physical exam. If the lung function test indicate that you have asthma, he may recommend some sort of asthma treatment, such as-
• Changes in lifestyle- Certain essential lifestyle changes are needed to control the condition and prevent any severe attacks. This entails eating a balanced diet and avoiding foods that will act as triggers. Your doctor may also recommend that you follow an exercise regime which is not very strenuous but will keep you fit.
• Long- term control medicines- most bronchial asthma patients are recommended long term medicines, which reduce inflammation and do away with the symptoms of the condition. These medicines are either administered through a nebulizer or injected into the body.
• Quick relief medicines- these medicines offer quick relief from any symptoms of an asthma attack. Quick relief medicines are administered through inhalers or MDIs.
Lybrate offers you a chance to get in touch with the leading allergists and consult them either online or face to face. Through Lybrate you can seek the advice of the top doctors all across India. Locate leading allergists and general physicians in Indore, Jaipur, Jalandhar, Lucknow, Ludhiana etc. Lybrate.com is an effective online solution to your health problems. You can subscribe to Lybrate.com today and get more information on chronic bronchitis and the use of MDI.
Consult top doctors for Asthma online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Neyveli, Abhiramapuram, Acharapakkam, Adambakkam, Adyar, Alandur and in any other locality in Chennai for Asthma.