Blessed are the people who enjoy a good figure without compromising on their diet or going through rigorous exercise and gym sessions. Everyone wants to be in perfect shape. Obesity and the associated health complications are known to all. These days, people are very conscious about their health. They try to maintain a healthy weight as much as possible. From gyms to Zumba, healthy diet to cycling, they try out everything under the sun to shed off the unwanted, stubborn fats. A healthy and fit body has immense health benefits. However, an excess of anything is bad. Maintaining a healthy body weight is good, but achieving it through drastic steps is bad. This article emphasizes on the effects (both good and bad) of weight loss on the overall health.
Health benefits of weight loss:
When you shed off the extra kilos in a healthy way, your body too reacts positively.
- Endorphins are known to be great mood enhancers. They create a positive feeling, a feel-good factor throughout the body. During workouts and exercises, the body releases endorphins. Thus, most people feel good and fresh after a workout.
- Weight loss can work wonders for your sleep. Research suggest that people who lost weight enjoyed a good, sound sleep, compared to their obese counterparts.
- For the body to function properly, it is important to maintain the hormonal balance in the body. Obesity disturbs the hormonal balance in your body. Weight loss plays a pivotal role in restoring the hormonal balance.
- Weight loss gives your sex life a much-needed boost. Weight loss is directly related to an increased level of the testosterone hormone. Increased level of testosterone is known to increase the sexual desire (increased libido).
- Obesity can significantly reduce your brainpower, thereby affecting your overall performance. Weight loss helps you to achieve not only a perfect body but a sharper memory as well. You feel fit both physically and mentally.
- Weight loss also helps to keep stress and anxiety at bay.
- Weight loss helps to lower the incidences of diabetes (Type 2), hypertension, dermatological problems (acne, skin rashes, skin aging), cardiac problems, thyroid problems, and to some extent cancer.
Harmful effects of weight loss:
- Drastic steps to achieve a perfect figure can do you more harm than good. Follow a healthy diet, reduce your carbohydrate intake, but do not starve yourself.
- Weight loss through a very low-calorie diet can interfere with the ability of the gallbladder to contract and release the stored bile (into the duodenum). Eventually, this may elevate the probability of formation of gallstones.
- A very low-calorie diet can rob your diet of the soluble fibers and vitamins (especially vitamin C). A poor diet can make you prone to infections. Your bones will also become weak.
- Rapid weight loss may also result in sagging skin. In some cases, your skin might lose its radiance and natural glow.
Weight loss is good but only when recommended and monitored by your nutritionist.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!