Vitamin deficiency anemia
When in the body there is deficiency of Vitamin B-12 and folate which causes the body not to produce healthy red blood cells. This is not producing healthy red blood cells by the body called Anemia. Anemia can be caused by genetics like sickle cell anemia and when they do not get iron which make up the structure of red blood cells. Vitamin B-12 and folate also help the body to make red blood cells in shape, however the deficiency causes to deshaped of RBC whose function, to carry oxygen, gets reduced. This reduction in oxygen can make you short of breath, fatigue. Vitamin and folate found in vegetables which when they get reduced for a long time anemia happens or when the body doesn't absorb the vitamins due to other problems.
Symptoms of vitamin deficiency develop after a long time like months or years. Signs are not very serious at the beginning but later they can be. Symptoms are :
- There will be shortness of breath sometimes or at crowded places.
- We may find the body Dizzy approx most of the time.
- Your skin might change its color to Pale or yellowish skin.
- Due to irregularity of transferring the oxygen in the body you may have Irregular heartbeats.
- You might suffer from Weight loss.
- Due to uneven transfer of oxygen in the whole body, feet can get numb.
- Muscle weakness will be seen which functions less in insufficient oxygen.
- There will be an effect on the brain like behaving angrily.
- There will be mental confusion which can cause unsteady movements and forgetfulness.
Vitamin B-12 and folate also help the body to make red blood cells in shape, however the deficiency causes to deshaped of RBC whose function, to carry oxygen, gets reduced. This reduction in oxygen can make you short of breath, fatigue. Vitamin and folate found in vegetables which when get reduced for a long time anemia happens or when the body doesn't absorb the vitamins due to other problems
Vitamin B-12 deficiencies
Low levels of vitamin B-12 in our body can be due to many reason which are:
- Diet: eggs ,milk and meat or some cereals which are fortified with Vitamin B-12 are the sources of vitamin b-12. People who do not consume these foods may have a lack of vitamin b-12. Fortified foods are cereals and products of yeast.
- Pernicious anemia: some time immunity of the body is commanded to attack at stomach cells . This cell produces an intrinsic factor which is necessary to absorb vitamin b-12. When this is not absorbed there will be anemia called pernicious anemia.
- Gastric surgeries: when the stomach or intestine goes under surgery of getting removal of itself the cell gets reduced which produces the intrinsic factor. there will be less absorption of vitamin b-12.
- Intestinal problems. Crohn's disease and celiac disease, or tapeworm which can occur in the stomach due to eating unhealthy fish, reduce the absorption of vitamin b-12.
Folate is also called vitamin b-9. Green vegetables and liver are the sources of it. Peoplewho do not eat green vegetables or liver have deficiency of folate or their body is not able to absorb it.
Absorption of folate is due:
- Diseases of the intestine such as celiac disease can interfere with absorption of folate.
- Surgical removal of the stomach or intestine can interfere with absorption.
- Alcohol consumption interferes with absorption.
- Some medicines also interfere with it.
Folate is necessary for pregnant women . Lack of folate can cause birth defects like spina bifida. People who go under kidney dialysis need a larger amount. Breastfeeding women are needed in high amounts.
There are many health problems when there is deficiency of vitamin B-12 or folate. Anemia aids that diseases to occur. Some disease are:
- Pregnancy complications: for a growing baby in the womb need folate in high amounts. Deficiency can cause defects in brain and spinal cord development.
- Nervous system disorders: vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause mental confusion, forgetfulness, numbness or tingling at feet . These are neurological problems caused by deficiency of vitamin b 9.
- Gastric cancer: Pernicious anemia caused by damaged stomach cells caused by an immunity system which produces the intrinsic factor needed for absorption of folate. This anemia can lead to gastric cancer.
Healthy diets can help you to get rid of deficiency of folate and vitamin b-12 and anemia can be treated this way which relied on vitamins:
Foods sources rich in vitamin B-12 are:
- Beef, liver, chicken and fish
- Fortified foods like cereals
- Milk, cheese and yogurt
Foods sources rich in folate include:
- Broccoli, spinach, asparagus or any green veggies.
- Citrus fruits like Oranges, lemons, bananas, strawberries and melons.
- Grain products like wheat and barley contain it.
- Liver, kidneys of animals and yeast, mushrooms and peanuts.
Many people take injections or medicines of vitamins to cope up with deficiency.
People who suffer from anemia due to vitamin deficiency should check their diet. They should include milk and veggies. Ignorance can lead to many other serious diseases. For any other information or queries please visit the doctor.