When somebody is diagnosed with a short term or a life-threatening disease, one of the main things they are likely to stress over is pain. Though, there are many effective medicines for pain, it is important to realize that medicines are not by any means the only treatment method for pain. For instance, radiation treatment can be very useful in treating pain from cancer and also in facilitating bone pain identified with the disease.
The term "alternative therapy" for the most part is used to describe any treatment or alternative that does not require medicinal attention. Alternate treatment includes a combination of controls, including acupuncture, guided imagery, chiropractic treatment, yoga, hypnosis, relaxation, biofeedback, massage, homegrown cures, aromatherapy and numerous others.
There are various non-medicinal methods for adapting to pain. They can be used all alone or as a part of a mix with medication treatments. Some of the alternatives patients have discovered include:
- Massage: Many individuals discover relief from delicate back rub, and some clinics and massage parlors have trained massage specialists. A few studies have found that a back rub is extremely successful in soothing pain.
- Relaxation: Guided imagery, spellbinding, breathing procedures and relaxation arts like tai chi are effective and viable, especially when a patient is experiencing debilitating pain.
- Acupuncture: A few studies have found that acupuncture can be useful in calming pain for individuals with genuine ailments, for example - cancer.
- Physiotherapy: In case a person has been very active before and is currently bed-ridden, even simply moving the hands and feet a little bit with proper physiotherapy movements can offer help.
- Pet treatment: If you have episodes of pain that last 5, 10, or 15 minutes, attempting to discover something pleasant - like petting an animal's delicate fur can divert and help in relaxation.
- Gel packs: These are basic packs that can be warmed or cooled and used to ease pain.
- Chiropractic treatment: It is the most widely recognized non-surgical treatment for back pain. It is usually done by a chiropractor who will tune your nerves and other parts for pain relief. Qualified chiropractors are a rarity and hence one must be careful while dealing with them.
- Diet: A few people trust that dietary fat intake and consumption of plants that contain calming operators can ease pain by restricting irritation.
- Herbal treatment: The effectiveness of herbs is questionable. Do consult a doctor or a specialist since they could have a side effect of their own. Some of them can interact with the medicines you might be taking. This may cause harm to your health.
Alternative therapies to pain relief are not always harmless. As mentioned above, herbal remedies could have few side effects too. Likewise, one should always take a second opinion or consult someone before taking a decision on the kind of alternative therapy they opt for. It is better if you consult an interventional pain physician first and then follow his advice on how to follow these methods for maximal pain relief.