While certain health conditions cause physical trauma, there are conditions that cause mental trauma as well. One such problem is urinary incontinence that causes embarrassment in the sufferer. Urinary incontinence is a clinical condition where there is a loss of bladder control which invariably leads to accidental leakage of urine. An individual suffering from this condition may feel an urgent need to pass urine right before passing a significant amount of urine.
The severity of the condition can be under control, or it could be a major concern. Some people are not able to take part in the day to day activities such as lifting heavy weights or exercising, and it leads to emotional distress. The condition may cause other issues and increase one's chance of developing other health issues like high blood sugar and obesity.
What are the possible causes?
- Urinary incontinence in men occurs when the brain fails to give the signal to the bladder for the sphincters to squeeze properly. It may cause contraction of the bladder muscles to a great extent or fail to contract altogether. If the sphincter muscles or the associated nerves are damaged, it can lead to various issues.
- Moreover, some people are born with problems in the urinary tract, which increases the chances of developing urinary incontinence. Also, a history of surgery involving the urinary tract or prostate cancer or radiation therapy for prostate cancer may cause this problem in men.
- It is important to note that urinary incontinence is not a disease. It is instead regarded as a symptom of some health issue or any incident.
Knowing the type is crucial to decide on the treatment
There are mainly four types of urinary incontinence in men which include:
- Urgency incontinence: This happens when a person starts urinating involuntarily after the urgent need to urinate. It is primarily caused by involuntary bladder contractions triggered by abnormal nerve signals.
- Stress incontinence: This may result from movements exerting pressure on the bladder and causing leakage of urine. This stress may result from coughing, sneezing, laughing or any other physical activity.
- Functional incontinence: This type of urinary incontinence takes place when some physical disability or external obstacles or problems keep a person from urinating at the right time. For instance, a man in a wheelchair may face difficulties in going to the toilet in time.
- Overflow incontinence: If the bladder is not able to empty correctly then it may result in the spilling of excess urine leading to urinary incontinence. People suffering from urinary incontinence may require frequent urination since they are only able to release a small part of what their bladder can hold.
What are the treatment options for urinary incontinence in men?
A healthcare professional may recommend behavioral and lifestyle changes along with other therapies such as pelvic floor exercises and bladder training to help reduce the severity of urinary incontinence in men. In severe cases, medications are prescribed to establish bladder control.
A pretty common condition in the elderlies, urinary incontinence can be treated and managed with an awareness and medical help. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!