Calcium phosphate is the main component of the tooth enamel so any deficiency in calcium can cause damage to the enamel. Calcium is not only required for having healthy teeth but also healthy bones and heart.
Healthy teeth are a sign of good overall health and wellbeing. There are many factors that impact the health of the teeth such as improper diet, smoking, and sugar.
Benefits of calcium for teeth
- Calcium reduces the chances of losing a teeth
- It reduces chances of cavities
- Calcium, when combined with a proper nutritious diet, helps in increasing the longevity of the teeth
- Calcium can reduce chances of gum disease
- Calcium along with other minerals also help in improving blood supply around the teeth area
- A calcium compound, amorphous calcium phosphate helps in fluoride absorption in the tooth enamel
- It limits loss of mass in the jawbone
- Calcium also fortifies the bones around the jaw to reduce bone problems such as loss of bone structure as one gets older
- It helps in protecting the teeth from acidic components that cause tooth decay
To have healthy teeth, one needs to have a balanced diet that meets the regular calcium requirements besides following a healthy lifestyle.
Related Tip: Smoking and Its Effect on Teeth