Women who have recently given birth and are aiming to shed the extra pounds gained during pregnancy are in for quite a struggle. You not only have to adjust your life to a new schedule but also need to recover physically from the stressful effects of pregnancy.
The ideal time for losing weight-
According to health experts, you should ideally aim to come back to your original weight in at least, 6-12 months after the delivery. Women, who are careful about their fitness levels, try to regain their original weight by the end of 6 weeks time.
As is normal in the case of losing weight, all you need to do is incorporate a healthy diet as part of your daily meal plan coupled with regular exercise. Breastfeeding also aids in losing weight post-pregnancy.
Do not rush!
During pregnancy, a woman's body goes through a lot, not just physically but mentally as well. Therefore, you need to give yourself ample time to recover. In order to do this, you should wait until your 6-week check-up to find out if you are healthy once again. Many doctors recommend waiting for a period of two months if you are planning to breastfeed your baby. This period helps to normalize the milk supply. On receiving the thumbs up from your doctor, you should concentrate on cutting down your calories.
What if you are breastfeeding?
Women who are breastfeeding their baby, or are planning to do so should aim to lose weight slowly and gradually. Losing weight drastically will make you produce a lower quantity of milk that might hamper the growth of your baby. According to doctors as well as dieticians, breastfeeding helps the body to burn calories.
Meal plan for weight loss-
Follow a few healthy tips to lose weight slowly and safely without putting either your life or the life of your baby in jeopardy.
• Oftentimes new mothers now frazzled with the responsibility of a baby forget to eat or consume their meals very late. This should not happen. If you do not give time to yourself for meals or intend on crash dieting by not eating, you will not have enough energy, and may even fall sick.
• Try to eat smaller meals from time to time to harness more energy rather than having three big meals.
• Eating a healthy and nutritious breakfast is very important as it gives you the necessary energy that you need to perform physical activities throughout the day.
• Eat slowly with your entire focus on your meal. This way you will be able to avoid overeating.
• Avoid consuming dairy products or try to consume those, which are low in fat.
• Consume foods such as lean protein or those that are rich in fibre. You should also ensure to have them either boiled or broiled.
The only way you can become a healthier and happier version of your previous self is when you accept the fact that often it is not possible to return completely to your former self. Pregnancy is likely to leave lasting changes on your body. So, be accepting of yourself as well as realistic.
Updates From Lybrate: We hope this information was helpful to you. Moreover, you can also check out these products for weight loss from Lybrate to support your weight loss journey.