Obesity is a condition characterized by the accumulation of large quantities of fat in the body. This condition drastically increases the risks of health problems. The most important cause for obesity is the intake of larger number of calories than what are usually burned through exercises or other routine activities. One with a BMI (Body Mass Index) more than 25 is considered obese. The primary ways of treating obesity are through exercising regularly and following a healthy diet.
How can Ayurveda help?
Ayurveda is a holistic system of medicine which is free from side effects, unlike conventional methods of treatment. Ayurvedic treatments focus on getting to the root cause of the disorder instead of just focusing on the symptoms. There are multiple remedies in Ayurveda that are effective in controlling obesity. They are:
- Restrict your calorie intake: While this may sound easy, it is actually difficult to implement. One of the major reasons for obesity is eating too much. The idea is to avoid overeating, so you need to be aware of your portion size. Eat frequent meals but in smaller quantities; this helps in keeping your metabolic rate elevated, that in turn is a prerequisite for greater fat burning.
- Start exercising: Exercise is a great way to burn those extra calories around your middle. The best and simple way to go about it is to start jogging. Low intensity jogging done over a period of time is a great way to burn fat. If you want to gain muscle, then do weight based exercises instead of just doing cardio.
- Meditate: The beneficial effects of meditation are well known. Apart from reducing your stress level, it also helps in boosting your focus and concentration. Being stressed can make you eat more and thus gain weight, so meditating on a regular basis can help manage stress effectively.
- Get sufficient rest: Sleeping less than 6 hours a day? You are only setting your body for obesity. Not sleeping enough brings about hormonal changes in the body which increase your appetite.
- Avoid junk food: Junk food should strictly be avoided as it can make you put on some serious pounds. Instead, opt for healthier food options, but keep in mind the portion sizes.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!