You're well acquainted with what happens when your period hits: your stomach spasms, your desires go into overdrive, and eating healthy appears like a noteworthy trial of resolve. A good week pretty much goes into binge-eating out of our bed and watching movies that will make us cry at the drop of a pin. All the dieting and work-out we have been at for the coming bikini months go in vain. And when you realise that, your mood sinks further and the only thing that you presume may get you out of that is another tub of chocolate ice-cream.
Keeping a list of have and have not’s may give your brain some clarity on what to eat and what not to eat during this time of the month
Foods you should eat
- Complex carbohydrates:Carbohydrates present in fruits, veggies and whole food are the most nutritious types of foods. And nutritious is what you need during your periods. Also the fruits may present you with the sugar that is required to satiate the sugar cravings that you have during your periods.
- Dark chocolate indulgence: Dark chocolates are a key source of antioxidants and serotonin that can help to elevate your mood. So go ahead and grab that bar of chocolate and dig in.
- Drink lots of water: It will help to relieve the bloated feeling as your body will be able to release the excess fluids it is holding onto.
Food you must not eat
- Caffeine: Caffeine will give you a bloated feeling and can be harsh on the stomach by increasing its acidity and irritability. The constant irritating cramping is enough to keep you occupied, you do not need more of it.
- Salt: Excess consumption of salt can cause water retention and result in bloating. Your pants get tight enough during this time of the month’; you don’t need to go under further depression. So pass up on the processed foods and the takeaways from your favourite Chinese restaurants.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!