Last Updated: Jan 10, 2023
Hyperpigmentation of skin can lead to dark patches and uneven skin colour, and it is caused by excessive melanin production. It can affect any part of the body, including the arms, legs, hands and even face. The root cause behind excessive melanin production is normally due to hormonal alterations in the body and other health issues. External factors like skin injury, burning, stress, chemical contact and even excessive sun exposure may lead to hyperpigmentation.
But there is nothing to worry about; you can easily eliminate these with some natural techniques.
- Lemon: This is the most common yet effective home treatment to eradicate hyperpigmentation. The natural bleaching agent helps in fading away of blemishes present on the skin. But in case you have sensitive skin, it is recommended to dilute the lime juice with some water before application.
- Raw potato: Spots and blemishes can be easily removed by applying raw potato juice on the affected area. Potatoes are rich in catecholase, an enzyme which is believed to help in skin lightening. So you may apply raw potato juice twice daily on the affected area to aid fading of hyperpigmentation.
- Apple cider vinegar: When it comes to lessening the hyperpigmentation of your skin, nothing can beat the efficacy of apple cider vinegar. If you have been suffering from dark patches all over your skin, then consider applying apple cider vinegar to the affected area owing to its astringent properties, which may restore the natural colour of your skin.
- Vitamin E: Referred to as skin vitamin, this is an obvious way to treat hyperpigmentation. Vitamin E is also an antioxidant, and it aids in neutralizing the harmful effects of sun rays while repairing and protecting the skin. You can put the contents of the Vitamin E capsules in a bowl and mix it with ripe papaya or fuller’s earth or rose water and mix to form a paste with thick consistency. Then you will have to apply it on the affected areas and wash it off after complete drying.
- Turmeric: This natural ingredient has bleaching properties that help in eliminating hyperpigmentation of the skin. In addition to this, turmeric helps in keeping the skin protected from infections. You can mix turmeric paste with lemon juice and apply on the pigmented area. Alternatively, you can apply turmeric paste with milk and then wash it with lukewarm water after some time.
With these few natural treatments, you will be able to curb down the hyperpigmentation of your skin. However, if you see no commendable results, then it’s probably time to visit a dermatologist.