Hailey-Hailey Disease is a rare dermatological condition that was first discovered and described by the Hailey brothers in the year 1939. The other name for the disease is benign familial chronic pemphigus. It is a hereditary skin disease. It can occur at any stage of life. However, it is more commonly seen in the middle-aged people. It can affect people of any race and ethnicity. It cannot be cured easily and persists the entire lifetime.
Quick facts about it!
- The skin cells become unstuck from each other, and they fall apart
- Painful eruptions form on the skin
- Crusty rough and symmetrical growth of rashes can be spotted
- The rashes are mostly seen on the skin folds
- The skin surface tends to macerate and crack
- Lesions keep forming continuously and disappearing without leaving scars
- Skin surface tends to gradually thicken
- The cracked skin surface is exceptionally painful
- Fingernails show a pale white band across them
- Symptoms are worse during the months of summer. The skin condition is aggravated by heat, sweat and friction.
- Bacterial infection may occur and worsen the skin condition by giving off an unpleasant odour.
Hailey - Hailey Disease
- Prolonged courses of antibiotics can only help to relieve the symptoms but there is no complete cure.
- Topical ointments, lotions, creams and antibiotics can help to reduce the skin irritation to some extent.
- Antibacterial solutions can be applied on the affected areas.
- Corticosteroid can help to temporarily reduce inflammations and flare-ups.
- Bleach baths can be taken twice a week to reduce superficial infections.
- It is important to wear loose and comfortable clothing that does not cause too much friction to the skin.
- It is best to avoid heat, sweating and sunburn as much as possible to prevent flare-ups and further inflammation.
- Maintaining hygiene is of utmost importance.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!