Imagine water flowing through a pipe or a tube that has a lot of things passing through it. It would definitely have a cleansing effect, don't you think? Now, apply the same to your stomach which is also a tube through which all the food passes through. When you drink water, it runs through this tube and cleanses it of all the food debris that is along the walls. This helps in a big way by removing the debris and toxins and is one of the most effective cleansing mechanisms.
The Japanese, in particular, are known to have used this over the centuries. They drink neither cold nor hot water, but water at moderate temperature. If you incorporate the same into your daily lifestyle, it can do wonders.
Here are some other aspects of drinking water empty stomach that you might want to consider:
- Drink about 600 mL water on an empty stomach in the morning, even before brushing
- You can then brush and rinse your mouth, but do not eat anything for the next 45 minutes
- Eat a good breakfast after 60 to 90 minutes
- Again, do not eat anything after that for about 2 hours
This is a regimen which should be followed religiously as it comes with multiple benefits. The same have been listed below:
- Flushing effect on the stomach: This is one of the best ways to clear the bowels. If you are having problems with bowel movement, try water on an empty stomach and see the difference. And needless to say, clearing out the bowels first thing in the morning is one of the healthiest habits to have
- Colon cleanser: As food passes through the food pipe, there is a lot of debris along the walls. Drinking water flushes this debris out and leaves the food pipe walls clean and clear.
- Improve appetite: Drinking water on empty stomach empties the stomach, making way for a good appetite and a good breakfast, which is considered the best meal to have
- Prevents headaches: Dehydration is one of the major causes of headaches, as the cells crave for water for proper functioning. Drinking water, especially on an empty stomach, gives the cells their much-needed hydration, thereby preventing headaches.
- Detoxifying effect: Clearing out the bowels helps in releasing toxins from the body. Drinking water on an empty stomach helps fasten the process of bowels in the mornings which are also effective methods of removing toxins.
- Weight loss: If you need something to fill your stomach without having to add calories, drink up water. Doing this on an empty stomach is even more effective, as it also reduces bloating feeling and clears out debris and toxins. Water also improves metabolism and so helps in weight loss. Mixing lemon and honey to luke warm water and drinking it on an empty stomach can help reduce the waistline and keep you energized throughout the day.
- Skin care: Drinking water on an empty stomach clears up the skin pores and helps in keeping skin clear. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.