Dengue fever is a disease caused by mosquitoes which mostly occurs in tropical climates. Dengue hemorrhagic fever is a type of dengue fever that may lead to decrease in blood pressure and severe bleeding. Dengue may lead to death if the symptoms of this disease are not treated at the right time. The symptoms of this disease are high fever, muscle ache, pain in the eyes, pain in the abdomen and nausea. It may also lead to respiratory problems such as breathing difficulties. Presence of blood in the stool and blood spots around the skin are some other symptoms of dengue.
The symptoms of this disease start after 5 - 9 days after being bitten by the mosquito. The disease usually lasts about 7-8 days. In case the symptoms worsen, the disease may become life threatening.
The various methods you can employ to protect yourself from dengue are:
- Maintain cleanliness around your surroundings: Make sure you keep your surroundings clean so that mosquito infestations do not occur. Keep your surroundings clean and dry as mosquitoes thrive in moist and humid surroundings.
- Mosquito repellents: Spray mosquito repellents to keep your home free from mosquitoes. Spray them keeping the room locked to make it more effective. There are multiple types of repellents available such as liquid or gas repellents.
- Clothes: You should preferably wear full sleeved clothes so that your skin is not exposed. It provides additional protection from mosquito bites.
- Mosquito nets: Use mosquito nets to protect yourself from mosquitoes when you go to sleep at night. They also provide protection from other insects that may cause infections.
- Don't store waste: Don't store your waste products for long durations as they may turn into a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Clean it regularly and make sure to keep the area dry.
- Using natural remedies: You may use natural remedies such as burning camphor as it repels mosquitoes. Take camphor and burn it for 20 minutes in a closed room to get rid of the mosquitoes.