A spotless, flawless complexion is what we all crave for. But owing to several environmental and genetic factors, your skin gets affected and gradually loses its glamour. Chemical peeling is a cosmetic treatment used to improve your skin’s appearance. Chemical peeling can effectively treat the following skin conditions-
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Age spots
- Sun tan
- Acnes and scars
Types of Chemical Peels-
Chemical peels are of three kinds, namely-
- Superficial/light peel- perforates the outer layer of the skin by using mild acids such as alpha-hydroxy acid.
- Medium peel- this is more effective for repairing damaged cells. Medium peels use glycolic acid or trichloroacetic acid to penetrate the outer and middle layers of your skin.
- Deep peel- uses trichloroacetic acid or phenol to reach the middle layer of the skin and repair skin cells that are damaged.
How is the treatment done?
Chemical peel is an out-patient procedure, meaning the patient does not have to stay overnight at the hospital after the treatment is done. Here is how chemical peels are done-
- First, your face will be cleansed and your eyes will be covered with a gauze or goggle.
- Your doctor will apply a chemical solution typically made of trichloroacetic acid or glycolic acid or salicyclic acid (depending on the type of chemical peel you opt for) on the face. The solution is left on for a few minutes.
- Once the treated area begins to whiten, your doctor will apply cold compress or a neutralizing solution on the skin.
- For patients opting for a deep chemical peel, local anesthesia or a sedative is given to numb the treated portion.
After the procedure, patients will likely notice redness or swelling on the treated portion. For that, you must follow these measures-
- Apply an ointment, say petroleum jelly, on the skin
- Apply ice packs to soothe the skin
- Use over-the-counter painkillers to get rid of the pain (as prescribed by the doctor)
- The new-age chemical peels usually take about two weeks to replace the damaged skin with healthier, smooth skin, and the best thing about the procedure is that there is no age bar. Anybody can opt for this treatment.
So now that you know why chemical peels are the secret to perfect skin, what are you waiting for? Consult a dermatologist, feel free to have a detailed discussion on the skin condition you want to get treated for, and bid adieu to age spots an dark patches, forever. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!