Sex, which gives pleasure to most, can be painful for some. There are a lot of reasons such as allergic reactions or psychological reasons so as to why one may feel pain from sexual intercourse.
Symptoms of pain affect both and women equally.
Pain from sex in men can be caused due to following reasons:
- One of the most common cause of pain during sex is a tight foreskin.
- Inflammation of the prostate may cause difficulties such as pain during sex.
- Infections in the penile area such as thrush which results in the irritated skin cause pain during sex.
- Damage to the foreskin covering the penis may cause a sharp and stinging pain during sexual intercourse.
If the symptoms are exaggerated and persist then it is recommended to consult a medical professional. In the case of itchiness and unusual discharges from the genitals, an STI (sexually transmitted infection) test is carried out. Another common treatment is using lubricants during sex to get rid of the dryness that is causing the pain. In the case of allergic reactions, it is recommended to test the products before using them.
Pain from sex in women can be caused due to the following reasons:
- Infections such as genital herpes (a viral disorder) or gonorrhea (a bacterial disorder in the vaginal skin) can cause pain during sex.
- If the passage in the vagina is narrow then it can cause pain during sex.
- If the women have reached menopause it makes the vagina dry. This can cause modifications in hormones that restrict the vagina from being wet during sex and causes pain.
- Allergic reactions from latex used in condoms can cause irritation in the genital region that may cause pain.